• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best affordable 2 way radios less than $100

I've heard a lot of people say those Beofang radios are difficult (complicated) to set up.
I would assume they're also difficult for newbies who aren't ham radio geeks to use.
What if the OP's daughter, or some other family member, pushes the wrong button? Will she know how to reverse that operation and return the radio to the same settings as it was minutes ago?

I've had a dozen different brands and models of CB walkie-talkies and first-generation family radio service (FRS) transceivers over the years, and they have to be STUPID SIMPLE for anybody but you or another walkie-talkie owner to use effectively. Oh, and I've used a lot of business channel radios too, and they take a lot of training to use, and even then people will STILL touch the wrong button and change the settings. Sometimes this means they lose all communications until somebody reconfigures their radio.

Baofeng radios can be confusing if the User doesn’t take time to slow down. If you want to
keep it simple, just set the frequency and then lock the radio. That way no one can hit the wrong key. Only the Transmit and power buttons work.

They are great for basic use or for the User than wants to setup advanced comms and send digital data. The software is free and has a ton of features. Basic walkies offer no way to build into a better system.

If you can operate a CB, you can operate a Baofeng. And any radio can get accidentally changed.

A bit of info:

The most powerful CB radio ranges 15-30 miles, but you’ll spend $340+ for it. The most common CBs range about 3 miles. Baofengs can achieve the same max ranges for prices from $26-$99.

CB Radios are only UHF and operate on 40 channels with frequencies ranging from 26.965 to 27.405 MHz. Baofeng are UHF/ VHF and operate up to 128 channels from 136 MHz to 174 MHz and between 400 MHz and 480 MHz. Newer versions of the radio can achieve 520 MHz.

Lower frequencies (like 150MHz in VHF) will travel farther. A higher frequency (like 450MHz in UHF) will work better in buildings and forest. With a Baofeng, you have the flexibility of both.

You can also setup a Baofeng to transmit digital messages (ie. maps, photos, coordinates, etc.).

If you can afford both, I say go for it. At the end of the day, your needs will dictate.

Read the fine print....only the AM version is for the USA, FM is for other countries.
Ad is old and out of date.

I like the Baofengs because they have a great range and features that others don't have that you COULD use if you wanted too. Plus the ability to transmit UHF/VHF gives the User more power if shtf.

If you need something simpler and encrypted, check out:

Motorola Talkabout T465 (max 35 miles)​

Retevis RT27 (max 8 mile range)

Midland 50 (max 30 mile range)
Thanks for the recommendations. Just ordered 6 of the motorolas. I'm going to try them out and set them up for the near future while I try to figure out these Anytone radios. Just for emergency around the neighborhood type stuff.

If you don't want to get a license, you can operate a Family Radio Service (FRS) radio or a Citizen's Band (CB) radio legally.

You can up your game if you get a General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) radio. It requires a license but no test is required. Your single license will cover spouse, kids, and many other family members.

Or you can get a HAM license. The entry level is a Technicians license and allows you to operate walkie-talkies and mobile units in the VHF and UHF spectrums.

A big benefit of HAM in the VHF/UHF is the large number of repeaters that are free to use and can extend your range to easily over 100 miles with a walkie-talkie.

Would you suggest what you have? Or buying individually and upgrading that way?

I suggest getting a set. That way you can test them out. The stock antennas and batteries may work fine for your purposes.

I originally wanted something to use on the range, so I just bought the 2 pack of radios and larger batteries. They worked great. Went off-roading and we had some issues in heavily wooded areas, so I got whip antennas and that fixed the spotty connection. After watching a few videos and learning what they are capable of, I bought another set for emergencies (1 for my parents and 1 for my sister's family). I connected the radios to repeaters so we're able to communicate from Douglasville to Winder.

Whips:

Back
Top Bottom