• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best affordable 2 way radios less than $100

i dont know bro. you just always here folks saying they use HAM just incase for this purpose.
you need a license for GMRS? if your out in the woods alone say, you get bit by a damn rattler.
cell is dead. which would be best to get emergency services HAM or GMRS?
all new to this type thing mid you.

Lol. So true. I've heard those things said many times.

Yes, GMRS requires a license but there's no test. I believe it's $65-70 for 10 years. In an emergency you can use any frequency, regardless if it's HAM, GMRS, MURS, etc. Most people with a radio are hunting, hiking, rock climbing, off-roading, etc. And they're communicating with someone they know that's nearby. So why do all that for a HAM license, when you can use a walkie talkie that does the same thing?

If you're in the woods, by yourself, no cell service, and get bit by a rattler... you deserve it. lol. Your best bet is to get yourself the hell out of there. If you're going to call for help on a radio it won't matter if it's GMRS or HAM; as long as you're on the right channel to get help. But then there's no telling how long help will take to find you. I've never understood those people who decide to go wandering around, 100 miles from anywhere, no cellphone, and get lost or injured. Anyone who does that is begging for something bad to happen. Especially if they're alone.

Radio communications will work even if the internet is down. It may be down from loss of power or maybe a cyber-attack or maybe the government decided to control dissemination of "misinformation". If the internet is down, good luck with your cell phone or VOIP device.

I personally think FRS is better than two cans and a string, but not by much. FRS has 22 channels located between 462MHz and 468 MHz. Output power is limited to 0.5 watts on channels 8 through 14 and 2 watts on the others. You cannot change antennas for a higher gain antenna. So their range is very limited. On the bright side, they are cheap and require no license.

GMRS uses the same channels as an FRS radio. Channels 1 through 7 are limited to 5 watts. Channels 8 through 14, like FRS, are limited to 0.5 watts. Channels 15 through 22 allows 50 watts. You will need a mobile radio, repeater, or base station to get any where close to 50 watts. Most walkie talkie devices are limited to about 5 watts based on batteries and size restraints. GMRS requires a license, but one license covers an entire family. The radios are a step up in price and performance compared to FRS. In my "humble opinion", GMRS hand-helds would be a fine choice to outfit a group of like minded people communicating and coordinating if they are in relatively close proximity.
One down side is there are very few GMRS repeaters in operation in Georgia, and a good percentage of the ones that are operating charge for their use. So the effective distance is relatively short compared to a repeater network.

Ham radio bands are not specific channels but are frequency ranges. The user selects the desired frequency. Below are the frequency bands allocated for Ham.

2200 meters : 135.7 - 137.8 kHz
160 meters : 1800 - 2000 KHz
80 meters : 3500 - 4000 KHz
40 meters : 7000 - 7300 KHz
30 meters : 10100 - 10150 KHz
20 meters : 14000 -14350 KHz
17 meters : 18068 - 18168 KHz
15 meters : 21000 - 21450 KHz
12 meters : 24890 - 24990 KHz
10 meters : 28000 - 29700 KHz

6 meters : 50 - 54 MHz
2 meters : 144 - 148 MHz
1.3 meters : 220 - 225 MHz

70 cm : 430 - 440 MHz
33 cm : 902 - 928 MHz
23 cm : 1240 - 1300 MHz
12 cm : 2300 - 2450 MHz

In Ham there are 3 license: Extra Class, General Class, and Technician Class. Technician class is the first test and gives some privileges in the UHF, VHF and HF bands. General class gives you additional privileges and an Extra class gives you all Ham privileges.

There are many Ham repeaters in operation, most are free to use, and most have emergency power supplies. So your effective range is much greater. If you have a base station you can operate at 1500 watts on some frequencies. You can talk with the astronauts on the Intenational space station since the station has an onboard Ham radio - about all US astronauts are Hams. Also, a base station operating in the HF spectrum can easily communicate with people hundreds or even thousands of miles away with no repeater required.

Those are some of the advantages. There are more. Some of the disadvantage - you need to get a license, and even if you are motivated to get a license, good luck convincing your deadbeat friends to do it. Generally the radios, especially the high quality radios, are more expensive.

Radio communications will work even if the internet is down. It may be down from loss of power or maybe a cyber-attack or maybe the government decided to control dissemination of "misinformation". If the internet is down, good luck with your cell phone or VOIP device.

I personally think FRS is better than two cans and a string, but not by much. FRS has 22 channels located between 462MHz and 468 MHz. Output power is limited to 0.5 watts on channels 8 through 14 and 2 watts on the others. You cannot change antennas for a higher gain antenna. So their range is very limited. On the bright side, they are cheap and require no license.

GMRS uses the same channels as an FRS radio. Channels 1 through 7 are limited to 5 watts. Channels 8 through 14, like FRS, are limited to 0.5 watts. Channels 15 through 22 allows 50 watts. You will need a mobile radio, repeater, or base station to get any where close to 50 watts. Most walkie talkie devices are limited to about 5 watts based on batteries and size restraints. GMRS requires a license, but one license covers an entire family. The radios are a step up in price and performance compared to FRS. In my "humble opinion", GMRS hand-helds would be a fine choice to outfit a group of like minded people communicating and coordinating if they are in relatively close proximity.
One down side is there are very few GMRS repeaters in operation in Georgia, and a good percentage of the ones that are operating charge for their use. So the effective distance is relatively short compared to a repeater network.

Ham radio bands are not specific channels but are frequency ranges. The user selects the desired frequency. Below are the frequency bands allocated for Ham.

2200 meters : 135.7 - 137.8 kHz
160 meters : 1800 - 2000 KHz
80 meters : 3500 - 4000 KHz
40 meters : 7000 - 7300 KHz
30 meters : 10100 - 10150 KHz
20 meters : 14000 -14350 KHz
17 meters : 18068 - 18168 KHz
15 meters : 21000 - 21450 KHz
12 meters : 24890 - 24990 KHz
10 meters : 28000 - 29700 KHz

6 meters : 50 - 54 MHz
2 meters : 144 - 148 MHz
1.3 meters : 220 - 225 MHz

70 cm : 430 - 440 MHz
33 cm : 902 - 928 MHz
23 cm : 1240 - 1300 MHz
12 cm : 2300 - 2450 MHz

In Ham there are 3 license: Extra Class, General Class, and Technician Class. Technician class is the first test and gives some privileges in the UHF, VHF and HF bands. General class gives you additional privileges and an Extra class gives you all Ham privileges.

There are many Ham repeaters in operation, most are free to use, and most have emergency power supplies. So your effective range is much greater. If you have a base station you can operate at 1500 watts on some frequencies. You can talk with the astronauts on the Intenational space station since the station has an onboard Ham radio - about all US astronauts are Hams. Also, a base station operating in the HF spectrum can easily communicate with people hundreds or even thousands of miles away with no repeater required.

Those are some of the advantages. There are more. Some of the disadvantage - you need to get a license, and even if you are motivated to get a license, good luck convincing your deadbeat friends to do it. Generally the radios, especially the high quality radios, are more expensive.

Thanks for sharing.

I haven't had to pay for the use of any GMRS repeaters. Maybe I'm just not loading those in my radios, so I'll look into that. If you have anymore info, it is appreciated.

I was aware that HAM has great range, and I agree most people won't need that range if they are just communicating with friends/ family. So I'm just having trouble imagining a situation that anyone would need to range beyond that, other than as a hobby. I've used my GMRS radio to talk to someone in Tennessee and North GA (120-250 miles away).

And like you said, good luck getting friends/ family to get a HAM setup and license. lol

The internet being down would only affect cellphones if your phone uses wi-fi instead of cellular to make calls. Cell towers operate on RF signals. So if someone were to shutdown all RF, that would include radios too. Cell phones emit radiation in the radiofrequency region of the electromagnetic spectrum. 2G, 3G, and 4G phones emit RF in the frequency range of 0.7–2.7 GHz. Fifth-generation (5G) cell phones use the frequency spectrum up to 80 GHz. So I guess it is possible to only shut down cellphone specific RF; in which case radios would be handy.

Nobody can shut down all RF. Radios propagate their signal from the internal radio transmitter. Repeaters will run as long as there is power to it. Cell phones require a connection to the tower to operate and can be cut off purposely.
This is why most people, myself included, keep radios around. As long as I can keep the batteries charged I can communicate some distance to those I want to who have radios as well. Like mentioned that requires other people to not be a deadbeat and do something as well.

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk

Looking for something with maximum range possible without getting any type of license from the fcc. Obviously the range advertised won't be achieved in our area but whats something i can talk to my daughter on at her friends house about a mile down the road or others in a shtf situation where cell towers are out.
Thanks ODT and God Bless!!
Just so you know. Most of the radios mentioned on this thread are GMRS radios and DO require a license to legally operate.

MURS radios might be your best option.
MURS may work for your needs but has a few limitations. However, no license is required.

"No MURS transmitter shall, under any condition of modulation, transmit more than 2 watts transmitter power output."

There are five MURS channels and the channels are either 11.25 kHz or 20.00 kHz each. The channel frequencies and (bandwidth) are:

151.820 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.880 MHz (11.25 kHz)
151.940 MHz (11.25 kHz)
154.570 MHz (20.00 kHz)
154.600 MHz (20.00 kHz)

Starting on 4-19-22 the GMRS license will be reduced to $35. The license is good for 10 years and can be renewed after that time. NO TEST is required.

"Any individual who holds an individual license may allow his or her immediate family members to operate his or her GMRS station or stations. Immediate family members are the licensee's spouse, children, grandchildren, stepchildren, parents, grandparents, stepparents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and in-laws.

There is one stipulation, however: The licensee must maintain access to and control over all stations authorized under its license."

Back
Top Bottom