• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best affordable 2 way radios less than $100

Looking for something with maximum range possible without getting any type of license from the fcc. Obviously the range advertised won't be achieved in our area but whats something i can talk to my daughter on at her friends house about a mile down the road or others in a shtf situation where cell towers are out.
Thanks ODT and God Bless!!
I have a couple of these cobra’s
Says 20 mile but more like 5 miles. FRS mode does not require a fcc license.
$35 new sealed ship for $9

Attachments

• 3B83FFE2-C8ED-4742-86DD-CB41330AEBC4.jpeg
    3B83FFE2-C8ED-4742-86DD-CB41330AEBC4.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 6
  • CFD8FD9A-052D-46AB-AB8F-20B8EBF1A441.jpeg
    CFD8FD9A-052D-46AB-AB8F-20B8EBF1A441.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 05F60BC4-5C63-4EF2-885C-390178D79259.png
    05F60BC4-5C63-4EF2-885C-390178D79259.png
    241.3 KB · Views: 3
The FCC sets the Maximum output power of radios. For GMRS radios it is 5 watts on most channels. But the FCC does not set Minimum power. As you would expect, many of the lower priced GMRS radios don't output the full power allocated by the FCC.
It is definitely a spec you need to confirm before buying.

I don’t care what any 3 letter agency thinks or does. Especially when it comes to a daughter’s safety if cell phones go down. I’m old & could care less even if Brandon wants to make all Cnc warrior brace owners felons. I lost them all in a boating accident.
I understand. It would be a good idea to get radios and let her practice with them. That way she has a better understanding on how to use them, limitations, battery life, and distances she could expect.

For $35 total for a license that would cover you and her both for 10 years, you haven't pushed her into an illegal activity. Is that worth $35 to you?

I understand. It would be a good idea to get radios and let her practice with them. That way she has a better understanding on how to use them, limitations, battery life, and distances she could expect.

For $35 total for a license that would cover you and her both for 10 years, you haven't pushed her into an illegal activity. Is that worth $35 to you?
$35 is a lot cheaper than a $10k fine for sure. Also, unless you plan on getting your ham license (btw, ham isn't an acronym, no need for all caps), stay away from most of the Baofengs, as they are not legal to use on any of the other services (MURS, FRS, GMRS) unless you get one specifically stated as being type certified for a respective service.

The minute you start stepping on ham's frequencies is the minute some OM is going to get his gang of fox hunters together and send notice to the FCC. Ham's are a fickle bunch, I say this being one myself.

Back
Top Bottom