• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best affordable 2 way radios less than $100

I also got the Midland X-Talkers for right about $100 earlier this year. I haven't tested it beyond about 1300 feet but it was crystal clear through dense forest with leaves. I'm sure it would go much further. Maybe not 35 miles.... but that all depends on terrain from antennae to antennae. Drawback is not being waterproof. Add ~$70+ for that feature.

Looking for something with maximum range possible without getting any type of license from the fcc. Obviously the range advertised won't be achieved in our area but whats something i can talk to my daughter on at her friends house about a mile down the road or others in a shtf situation where cell towers are out.
Thanks ODT and God Bless!!
BAOFENG UV-5X (UV-5G) GMRS Radio, Long Range Walkie Talkies Rechargeable, Two Way Radio with NOAA Weather Receiver & Scan, GMRS Handheld Radio for Adults, Support Chirp, 1 Pair https://a.co/d/gcMqLLT

Check out something like this. Your license is 35.00 and is good for 10 years and covers immediate family…… NO TEST REQUIRED!!!!!

FreedomUSMC FreedomUSMC turned me onto this…. I all so have a pair of walkie-talkies that come with a base charger I got at Lowes for use some time ago. These walkie-Talkies we’re a just in case thing.

Respectfully
Chris

I've used Baofeng for various reasons and they're solid. Add an upgraded antennae and extra capacity battery, you're good to go. Also, you can connect to repeaters so the range is multiplied. There's various videos on youtube.

The range of the Baofeng BF-F8HP can go as far as 20-25 miles; depending upon obstacles and weather.

Are these FM band?

Looking for something with maximum range possible without getting any type of license from the fcc. Obviously the range advertised won't be achieved in our area but whats something i can talk to my daughter on at her friends house about a mile down the road or others in a shtf situation where cell towers are out.
Thanks ODT and God Bless!!
Hey sir. Good morning.

Please take this time to read this article as it may help you decide what capabilities you may need.

I have that set that Chris linked. Beware the accessories. Only 1 hand mike for the pair. Bao could not help, Amazon sent me another pair, had me take the mike out and send the rest back.
Apparently a very common missing item.

Radios are rock solid.

I have that set that Chris linked. Beware the accessories. Only 1 hand mike for the pair. Bao could not help, Amazon sent me another pair, had me take the mike out and send the rest back.
Apparently a very common missing item.

Radios are rock solid.
Interesting. I bought my set minus the Mic. I'm looking into various mics now.

leetheman81 leetheman81 , if you're looking to upgrade your antenna(s), consider the Abbree 48.8" antenna and or the Nagoya NA-771G 15.3" antenna. Both are fantastic for extending coms range.

In order to have extended battery power, consider setting your OEM 1800 mAh/13.32Wh a side on a charger and replacing it with a Replacement Battery for Baofeng (7.4V 3800mAh BL-5)

Respectfully
Chris

Back
Top Bottom