• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Alliant Powder?

I buy bullseye because it was recommended when I started loading. I have only used it and titegroup. I only load 38 and 9 and those two make things easy. I'm following this because there may be something better.

I like bullseye almost as much as unique. For handguns, esp non magnum loads, it is great, and inexpensive per round. Do have to watch double or triple loads, though.

Best powder will really depend on what cartridge(s) you plan on loading. Even within one caliber the application makes a difference. In 9mm for instance

A good combo of accuracy and recoil impulse at a safe 130 PF= Sport Pistol, N320, Titegroup
Maximum bullseye mechanical accuracy= Power Pistol, N330
Maximum velocity= CFE, Autocomp, HS-6, 3N37

The best all around boom dust that will make anything go boom in a pinch is undoubtedly Unique.

I like power pistol for 9mm, and 10mm and I think I even used it for some .380 loads. I dont load .40 but im sure it will work for it as well. Be forewarned though. Power Pistol is LOUD and gives a pretty big muzzle flash. I believe Alliant came out with a new powder that is pretty much same as power pistol but tgey used “flash suppresant” in it. I cant remember exactly which one it was though. Ivwill check and post back.

Alliant is great powder across the board. It fits a niche for each application depending on which one you choose. For across the board application my vote will go to UNIQUE! Pistol, rifle and shotgun. It does it all. The last 3 GA deer I killed were with a cast bullet (Lee 405gr) in the 45-70 over 15gr. Unique. Not position sensitive.

It is a large(er) flake powder so that factors in when you meter it. I use a Lee Perfect Powder Measure for Unique and it works perfect. If you are using say a Uniflow from RCBS, I found that measure doesn't like any flake powder regardless of size.

You won't go wrong if you choose Unique. That and Bullseye have been my go to for the entire time I have been reloading.

Bullseye is good in 45 acp. Blue dot works well in 40 and 10mm. However, it has a lot of muzzle flash in low light. Power pistol works well in 40 and 9mm, seems like it has a lot of boom. Recently tried BE-86 which I found in VA while visiting, never seen any around here. It will indeed push a 155 grain to 1400+ FPS in a 5" 10mm as the load data says. That is all I have tried it in yet.

I haven't used Unique much, but it is indeed a great all around powder.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom