• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best and worst places to survive the apocalypse

Actually, GA is pretty good as an all-around place. Stable weather, abundant cropland, water and rainfall, no extreme weather, typically no huge natural disasters.

It would be a pretty decent place in a post-industrial-society type apocalypse.

Georgia would be the last place I'd want to live in for an apocalypse. Way too many people per square mile, & if your with in a few hour drive from Atlanta you should expect hordes of people walking into the country thinking they'll be able to live off the land. Most likely there would groups or lone hunting taking advantage of the chaos & killing others for their goods. Worst kind would be the lone person taking shots at you at a distant to take your gear while your out harvesting for your family.

Personally i'd rather be further North. Less people means more opportunity to hunt when your food runs out. I'd imagine anything that has fur, feathers, & scales would get hunted down to almost nothing in Georgia. South GA not so much, but the heat & mosquitoes would make it unbearable.

I could see Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming to be a better place for me. Winters would be hard, but it's something you plan for. A small farming community with a population of a few thousand would be nice. Chances are most people would know each other and groups would form up quicker and band together to survive the first few years.

Agree with you on the city thing. That's why I spec'd GA, not Atlanta or anything.

I honestly think that the whole 'city folks pouring into the countryside' is a bugaboo anyway.

They won't be doing it on foot. Maybe .01% of the urban population could actually manage a 10 mile hike these days under the best conditions, let alone an apocalypse.

Driving? probably not since the roads would either be jammed already, or empty because there hasn't been gas for weeks.

Bicycles would be an option, but I'm just not worried that much about a group of 'bikers' who wear spandex and teardrop-shaped helmets.

Given that your in Smyrna, it isn't that far from Atlanta. Heck I'm up in Acworth and feel the population grown in just the last few years. With 57,000 people in Smyrna food will dwindle pretty quick with out shipments coming in weekly let alone the people in the surrounding areas looking for greener pastures outside the city limits. Hungry people are desperate and will shoot at shadows to steal what food they think the other may have. Hard to take care of a garden with out getting shot.

Most Atlantans idea of roughing it is a day trip up Blood Mtn or a weekend camping trip in Vogal or Unicoi SP. If they made it up here (the mountains) they'd stick out like a sore thumb, have no idea who owns what and wouldn't last long as we don't like trespassers and have guns and backhoes. My advice to the flat landers is, don't try to run up here you'll only die tired.

Given that your in Smyrna, it isn't that far from Atlanta. Heck I'm up in Acworth and feel the population grown in just the last few years. With 57,000 people in Smyrna food will dwindle pretty quick with out shipments coming in weekly let alone the people in the surrounding areas looking for greener pastures outside the city limits. Hungry people are desperate and will shoot at shadows to steal what food they think the other may have. Hard to take care of a garden with out getting shot.
Georgia has huge areas with very little population and good for agriculture. The issue would being prepared to get there or already have a place set up.

Most Atlantans idea of roughing it is a day trip up Blood Mtn or a weekend camping trip in Vogal or Unicoi SP. If they made it up here (the mountains) they'd stick out like a sore thumb, have no idea who owns what and wouldn't last long as we don't like trespassers and have guns and backhoes. My advice to the flat landers is, don't try to run up here you'll only die tired.
I've never understood why so many people talk about bugging out to the mountains. Less game, less farmland, less water and much more difficult to move around in. :noidea:

Back
Top Bottom