• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best AR caliber for hunting hogs?

Hogs are easy to kill, but can be hard to find If you don't shut them down on the spot. I saw one lose half its head to a shot from a 7mm mag. It was killed a couple weeks later with a .45/70 through the shoulders. Shoot 'em at the base of the ear with a .223 or Beowulf through the shoulders. And study anatomy before you go. They're not built like deer.

I went with 300blk. Why? Because it's interchangable with 556. It's easy to load meaning less cost for hunting rounds and you can get almost like 308. Well not really but you can get up to 2500 fps.

I own a 300blk and a 6.8SPC. The 6.8 is arguably a better hunting cartridge, but the 300blk is plenty of cartridge for game in GA IMO. 6.8 has fantastic performance, but full-power loads aren't the industry standard due to Remington's early screw up with the SAAMI spec, and there can be a bit of confusion regarding the non-standard chambers that many manufacturers created to allow for full power loads. 300blk is convenient because ammo is standardized, and it doesn't require a special bolt or mags to function. Both suppress well if that is a concern.

Either 300blk or 6.8SPC would be a great choice for hunting with an AR. 223/5.56 will certainly work with good shot placement, but since hogs tend to run when shot at, I would use one of the bigger calibers to ensure a more humane kill. The AR10 platform is too big and heavy to lug around on a hunt IMO, so I would stay away from short action cartridges in an AR for that reason. Whatever you choose, bullet selection and shot placement will be more important than cartridge. Don't cheap out; buy ammo with the appropriate expansion and penetration for the hunt.

If it’s really thick cover, I’ll go in with a slug gun or a .50 Beowulf. Not much gonna deflect a 385gr slug or a 500gr Hornady XTP. Either one will punch through the shield on a big boar. I’ve done it at point blank range on one that weighed over 300#.
A 30/06 with 220gr Core Lokts or a Barnes TTSX will do well too.
20FABC6F-6F96-43D5-B191-8CB360EAEBA3.jpeg

This big boy got two shotgun slugs run through him. One through the shield, another behind the ear.

Back
Top Bottom