• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best AR caliber for hunting hogs?

Would avoid .223 if you can. I'm sure they work fine and like mentioned above a head shot will do the trick. Brought one of my buddies hunting two years ago, he's now a game warden in GA. He shot a big hog 3 times from 25 yards out with his AR-15 and it ran off like nothing even happened. Never did find it. Shot placement is everything though.
I’ve used .223 on hogs with no issue. They always penetrate completely through for me on torso shots. I hunt on public land, so the hogs are usually smaller than farm hogs. I might step it up if I routinely encountered hogs in the +250 lbs range but for hogs under 200 lbs (most hogs) a .223 expanding round works exceptionally well. Now bigger is always better, so shoot the biggest round you are comfortable with. I usually walk and stalk, so a lightweight .223 AR is best for me when covering ground.

300black is one of the lowest energy .30 caliber rounds out there. 7.62x39 carries more energy, and is WAY cheaper, so there’s some food for thought. Iraqveteran8888 and Militaryarms did some test videos with expanding subsonic 300black and had good results, so give it a try and report back. I think Militaryarms even has a few videos hunting hogs with 300black subsonics, so I’m sure they work fine. I feel like there is a lot of superstition regarding hogs as some kinds super tough armored tanks that can barely be killed. As long as you shoot them a little lower and closer to the shoulder than deer you’ll be fine.

I’ve used .223 on hogs with no issue. They always penetrate completely through for me on torso shots. I hunt on public land, so the hogs are usually smaller than farm hogs. I might step it up if I routinely encountered hogs in the +250 lbs range but for hogs under 200 lbs (most hogs) a .223 expanding round works exceptionally well. Now bigger is always better, so shoot the biggest round you are comfortable with. I usually walk and stalk, so a lightweight .223 AR is best for me when covering ground.

300black is one of the lowest energy .30 caliber rounds out there. 7.62x39 carries more energy, and is WAY cheaper, so there’s some food for thought. Iraqveteran8888 and Militaryarms did some test videos with expanding subsonic 300black and had good results, so give it a try and report back. I think Militaryarms even has a few videos hunting hogs with 300black subsonics, so I’m sure they work fine. I feel like there is a lot of superstition regarding hogs as some kinds super tough armored tanks that can barely be killed. As long as you shoot them a little lower and closer to the shoulder than deer you’ll be fine.

I’ll agree on the 300BO, though I’ve had good success. The Vanres 110 TSX expands really well and both hogs I killed, i recovered the bullets

I have used 5.56. It was actually a 55grn Hornady TAP rnds. Worked well on my 300lbs hog. It was a neck/head shot though. It ran maybe 10yrds.

20171117_205817.jpg

Whatever AR you currently own should be sufficient. I've killed em with a 17hmr. Make your shot count is key. But if you can't...458 socom!!!

I’ve killed 12-15 with my little .223 AR and 64 grain partition handloads, no follow up shots, no lost deer or hogs. This year I am going to try out my newest build in 7.62x39 with 123 gr hp’s And sp’s

Back
Top Bottom