• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best bang for the buck red dot? under 100 dollars

DownSouthMach

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
77   0
Reaction score
Looking for advice on a budget red dot. I have no experience with them and trying to pick one out is quite frustrating. It will be going on a sig 522 for some plinking fun.

Thanks for your help

If you are just looking for target acquisition I have had good luck with Truglo and NcSTAR. You should be able to get a good NcSTAR for under $100 and a Truglo for well under. I have used both on ARs.

Looking for advice on a budget red dot. I have no experience with them and trying to pick one out is quite frustrating. It will be going on a sig 522 for some plinking fun.

Thanks for your help

I went through the same process you are going through ... I have deep empathy for your frustrations!
Bottom line: If you buy anything other than an EOTECH or AIMPOINT you are going to be disappointed.

I tried thwe Vortex offerings and was really, really disappointed ... had to return them, got my money back but had to eat the shipping costs.

That said, I bought a UTG Reflex that cost me about $50 ... and it works fine for non-combat, non-hunting situations
on both my AR-15 and Saiga .223. Probably would work in hunting situations though.

Good luck and let us know what you find ... Good, Bad, and Ugly ... As this will add to the knowledge base!

Thanks for all the suggestions

I'm actually looking at this one pretty hard, 89 shipped at opticsplanet. Mostly good reviews and the few bad are comparing them to a much higher price point

I bet they are nice but cost more than my rifle, Kinda like putting 5000 dollar wheels on a 2000 dollar car. :D
I went through the same process you are going through ... I have deep empathy for your frustrations!
Bottom line: If you buy anything other than an EOTECH or AIMPOINT you are going to be disappointed.

I tried thwe Vortex offerings and was really, really disappointed ... had to return them, got my money back but had to eat the shipping costs.

That said, I bought a UTG Reflex that cost me about $50 ... and it works fine for non-combat, non-hunting situations
on both my AR-15 and Saiga .223. Probably would work in hunting situations though.

Good luck and let us know what you find ... Good, Bad, and Ugly ... As this will add to the knowledge base!
Looked for that one but no luck, for nine bucks could buy it for giggles
i got a 9 dollar one with free shipping from opticsplanet.com and its sweet ...its a little ncstar reflex

Do you know the model?
I like my tasco red dot. I think I paid 22 bucks from midway. Been on my ruger for a while now. Well worth the 22 bucks and holds perfect zero!

If anyone else had a good/bad experience with ones in this price range post up!

http://www.opticsplanet.net/osprey-holographic-sight.html
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=663824

I put one of these on my 16 y/o son's TAPCO/Ruger 10/22 a year ago. It has worked very well on the target range and held it's zero. I was concerned that the dot would be too big for squirrel hunting but the 3 MOA is about the same size as a squirrel head. Just put the dot on the head and cover it up, leaving no fur showing and squeeze the trigger. It does look a little fragile and if dropped hard I would expect it to crap itself. It has several cool settings in either a red or green dot, cross hairs, dot w/see through center w/cross hairs. My son is a techno junkie and seems to like the multiple settings.

The discussion: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=511202

Back
Top Bottom