• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Bourbon that doesn't break the bank?

Thanks for that ranking. It is the first one I have seen in a while that I can actually agree on most of the list. I am so glad that Basil Hayden made this list. It is a wonderful bourbon, that gets over looked because it is a lower proof bourbon. Never had Pappy, so I can't say yeah or nay to that selection. I have had Knob Creek, did not care for it, and Makers Mark, really did not care for it! I would have put Four Roses Single Barrel on the list instead of Makers Mark and Angels Envy in place of Knob Creek, but hey that is just my opinion.

BTW, I was told recently that "good bourbon" must always be enjoyed neat never any drops of water added, and certainly never any ice added. Well, the last time I looked, there are no hard and fast rules to enjoying "good bourbon". I drink my bourbon with ice. I like it that way and if I spend my money on "good bourbon" I will drink it any way that pleases me. Enjoy what you buy on your terms, not someone else's terms. Salute.

Been a couple of weeks since the last post in this thread. Everyone must be drinking bourbon instead of writing about it!! lol

OK, here is a review of a bourbon I tried recently.

I am normally not a fan of "celebrity" likkas, and there are quite a few out there. So I was skeptical when asked to try Bob Dylan's Heavens Door Double Barreled Whiskey.
At 100 proof, if you drink it neat, you will get the alcohol burn quickly and for me, just overpowered the taste. With ice, I found that the flavor came through better, but I have to admit, there is an oak taste that for some is too much. I guess being double oak barreled before it is bottled is the reason for the oak taste and smell. Hey, I liked it, but there are a lot of good solid bourbons/whiskeys in this price range, $45 to $50. Just my opinion.

bob_dylan_s_heavens_door_double_barrel_whiskey.png

BTW, I was told recently that "good bourbon" must always be enjoyed neat never any drops of water added, and certainly never any ice added. Well, the last time I looked, there are no hard and fast rules to enjoying "good bourbon". I drink my bourbon with ice. I like it that way and if I spend my money on "good bourbon" I will drink it any way that pleases me. Enjoy what you buy on your terms, not someone else's terms. Salute.

Had a chance to talk to, and get served by Jimmy Russell several times, head distiller at Wild Turkey. He says that is BS. A splash of water releases the flavor, especially the high proof ones. That "no water" thing is just one of those late comer snobbery things.

Those were real opportunities, one of those experiences where you just shut up and listen.

I'm not a big fan of Wild Turkey, but Russell's Reserve is something else. Seriously good.

Had a chance to talk to, and get served by Jimmy Russell several times, head distiller at Wild Turkey. He says that is BS. A splash of water releases the flavor, especially the high proof ones. That "no water" thing is just one of those late comer snobbery things.

Those were real opportunities, one of those experiences where you just shut up and listen.

I'm not a big fan of Wild Turkey, but Russell's Reserve is something else. Seriously good.

gh1950 using water has always helped me drink the higher proofed bourbons. Without cutting the bourbon a bit, all I get is the alcohol burn.
Thanks for your post.
I will try the Russell's Reserve.

gh1950 using water has always helped me drink the higher proofed bourbons. Without cutting the bourbon a bit, all I get is the alcohol burn.
Thanks for your post.
I will try the Russell's Reserve.
I like my bourbon chilled or in a chilled glass in the freezer..If it is on the counter warm, I do use a single cube to cool it down..Their are some brands I would like to try but, 101 Turkey is my go to for 45 yrs or more now.

Back
Top Bottom