• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Bourbon that doesn't break the bank?

BTW, I was told recently that "good bourbon" must always be enjoyed neat never any drops of water added, and certainly never any ice added. Well, the last time I looked, there are no hard and fast rules to enjoying "good bourbon". I drink my bourbon with ice. I like it that way and if I spend my money on "good bourbon" I will drink it any way that pleases me. Enjoy what you buy on your terms, not someone else's terms. Salute.

I'm back on this, because this type of effete snobbery just really grinds my shorts.

Basically the A-hole who says this doesn't know very much about Bourbon, and you know from the get go he is a poser.

Bourbon is distilled at no higher than 80% alcohol (160 proof). So all bourbon starts out as AT LEAST 20% water.

THEN, it CANNOT be put into the barrels (and barrel aging is a legal requirement for Bourbon) at a proof higher than 125 (61.25% alcohol, no idea how they came up with that number). This proof is obtained BY ADDING WATER.

Then when barrel aging is completed, the proof may be higher or lower than 125 depending on how the Bourbon matured in the barrels, and it is up to the bottler to decide on what proof to market the product.*

"Barrel proof" Bourbon can be bottled and sold as such, and it ranges from 110 to 160 proof, 55% to 80% alcohol. This means that the highest proof you can by is 20 to 45% WATER.

The more common proofs of 100+/-, 90+/-,80 + are 50% or more WATER added by the bottler. Note that "80%) has no "minus" sign, as that is the lowest proof at which Bourbon can be sold.

So if you are drinking an 80 proof Bourbon "neat", it is already 60% WATER. A splash of some more water is in no way an insult to the liquor or the maker. Even a "high proof" 100 proof Bourbon is 50% WATER, most of which has been added by the bottler AFTER AGING. The added water has nothing to do with the aging process or flavoring process -it is added so the bottler can produce a consistent product, and meet certain legal requirements. I keep using "bottler" because the person diluting the whiskey may only be a blender and have nothing to do with distilling or aging the whiskey.

So the next time your A-hole acquaintance sticks out his pinky finger and says you shouldn't add water to your whiskey, ask him to carefully explain why 50% added water is GOOD, but more than 50% (added by you) is BAD.

*Some states have laws limiting how high the proof of liquor can be. Also, state and federal taxes are based in part of the proof of the liquor. Higher proof = higher taxes.

Reactions: JWC
I'm back on this, because this type of effete snobbery just really grinds my shorts.

Basically the A-hole who says this doesn't know very much about Bourbon, and you know from the get go he is a poser.

Bourbon is distilled at no higher than 80% alcohol (160 proof). So all bourbon starts out as AT LEAST 20% water.

THEN, it CANNOT be put into the barrels (and barrel aging is a legal requirement for Bourbon) at a proof higher than 125 (61.25% alcohol, no idea how they came up with that number). This proof is obtained BY ADDING WATER.

Then when barrel aging is completed, the proof may be higher or lower than 125 depending on how the Bourbon matured in the barrels, and it is up to the bottler to decide on what proof to market the product.*

"Barrel proof" Bourbon can be bottled and sold as such, and it ranges from 110 to 160 proof, 55% to 80% alcohol. This means that the highest proof you can by is 20 to 45% WATER.

The more common proofs of 100+/-, 90+/-,80 + are 50% or more WATER added by the bottler. Note that "80%) has no "minus" sign, as that is the lowest proof at which Bourbon can be sold.

So if you are drinking an 80 proof Bourbon "neat", it is already 60% WATER. A splash of some more water is in no way an insult to the liquor or the maker. Even a "high proof" 100 proof Bourbon is 50% WATER, most of which has been added by the bottler AFTER AGING. The added water has nothing to do with the aging process or flavoring process -it is added so the bottler can produce a consistent product, and meet certain legal requirements. I keep using "bottler" because the person diluting the whiskey may only be a blender and have nothing to do with distilling or aging the whiskey.

So the next time your A-hole acquaintance sticks out his pinky finger and says you shouldn't add water to your whiskey, ask him to carefully explain why 50% added water is GOOD, but more than 50% (added by you) is BAD.

*Some states have laws limiting how high the proof of liquor can be. Also, state and federal taxes are based in part of the proof of the liquor. Higher proof = higher taxes.
My response to any of these snobs (bourbon, coffee, scotch, wine, etc.) is, "Unless you're paying for my drink, STFU about how I fix it."

Scotch snobs are even worse on the water and ice thing. I like my 1st one on ice with a tiny splash of water. 2nd one on ice only. 3rd one, less ice more scotch. 4th one, neat, the ice is just taking up room. Thats the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it uh huh uh huh.

Scotch snobs are even worse on the water and ice thing. I like my 1st one on ice with a tiny splash of water. 2nd one on ice only. 3rd one, less ice more scotch. 4th one, neat, the ice is just taking up room. Thats the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it uh huh uh huh.
I like good bourbon and I can not lie.... you other brothers will deny

Anyone try this yet?

bones.png

IMG-2232.JPG

I'm still going to my A A meetings.
It's a fine bourbon that starts with a hearty caramel bouquet and finishes with a hint of amber and fairy tears,
but I can't taste them 'cause I drink it with coke in a plastic Bubba cup full of ice.

Back
Top Bottom