• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best buffer and buffer spring for ar15

Stay away from braided wire and flat wire springs, as well as captured buffer systems. All were proven to be less than ideally reliable in USMC testing, and that’s my experience as well.

If you just want to replace the springs that are already in your DD’s as part of routine maintenance, replace them with the Sprinco buffer spring that is of the same type/weight as what is in there now.

If the guns are chambered in 5.56, and you want a legitimate upgrade that will enhance the reliability, then go with the aforementioned Vltor A5 system. You will have to replace your receiver extensions (buffer tubes), and run Vltor’s proprietary, patented buffers. You have to use rifle buffer springs; either use the one that ships with the Vltor kit (if you bought it that way), or the Sprinco “green” rifle spring if you are purchasing the components separately.

As a side of effect with the enhanced reliability, the Vltor A5 system smooths out your recoil impulse.

For the receiver extension, you can run the Vltor, and identical length extensions are offered by SOLGW (listed as an A5), FCD (both the Vltor RE-A5 and the FCD RE5F), BCM (the Mk2 or intermediate length), and the LMT .308 receiver extension.

I run the Vltor A5 system in all my 5.56 AR’s.

Stay away from braided wire and flat wire springs, as well as captured buffer systems. All were proven to be less than ideally reliable in USMC testing, and that’s my experience as well.

If you just want to replace the springs that are already in your DD’s as part of routine maintenance, replace them with the Sprinco buffer spring that is of the same type/weight as what is in there now.

If the guns are chambered in 5.56, and you want a legitimate upgrade that will enhance the reliability, then go with the aforementioned Vltor A5 system. You will have to replace your receiver extensions (buffer tubes), and run Vltor’s proprietary, patented buffers. You have to use rifle buffer springs; either use the one that ships with the Vltor kit (if you bought it that way), or the Sprinco “green” rifle spring if you are purchasing the components separately.

As a side of effect with the enhanced reliability, the Vltor A5 system smooths out your recoil impulse.

For the receiver extension, you can run the Vltor, and identical length extensions are offered by SOLGW (listed as an A5), FCD (both the Vltor RE-A5 and the FCD RE5F), BCM (the Mk2 or intermediate length), and the LMT .308 receiver extension.

I run the Vltor A5 system in all my 5.56 AR’s.

How often have you seen a buffer/spring related failure? This is just something I have never thought of upgrading on my factory mil spec rifles. (but maybe I should). I do replace the springs every few years on the rifles I shoot the most, but never thought about the buffer itself.

How often have you seen a buffer/spring related failure? This is just something I have never thought of upgrading on my factory mil spec rifles. (but maybe I should). I do replace the springs every few years on the rifles I shoot the most, but never thought about the buffer itself.

Depends on what you mean by buffer/spring related failure. If you include folks using the wrong buffer and or spring, I see it daily.

Depends on what you mean by buffer/spring related failure. If you include folks using the wrong buffer and or spring, I see it daily.

I'm more curious about factory rifles with factory spring and bufer. BCM, Colt, Springfield, Ruger, SIG, etc. Is the VLTOR a worthwhile upgrade on most mil spec factory rifles (not that all of those I mentioned are milspec)? It doesn't seem like an expensive upgrade. I'm just wondering if it's a point of failure you see a lot..

I'm more curious about factory rifles with factory spring and bufer. BCM, Colt, Springfield, Ruger, SIG, etc. Is the VLTOR a worthwhile upgrade on most mil spec factory rifles (not that all of those I mentioned are milspec)? It doesn't seem like an expensive upgrade. I'm just wondering if it's a point of failure you see a lot..

The CliffsNotes version:

The USMC knew that the M4 carbines were not as reliable as the M16A4 rifles. They wanted to see what they could do to increase the reliability of the M4 series.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, they decided to see what was already commercially available on the market. They procured a wide selection of “enhanced” buffer systems, to include the Vltor A5, Geissele, silent captured systems, etc. They ran them through a battery of tests, and as the control they used the M16A4 rifle.

Not only did the Vltor A5 buffer system beat all the other carbine buffer systems, it was found to be more reliable than the M16A4 rifle buffer system.

There is a lot more going on in a buffer system than folks realize. There is a reason that the buffer weights inside the buffer are loose and rattley. Vltor took that a step further and added a small spring inside there, as well.

The Vltor A5 is a reliability improvement for the 5.56 AR platform. In that platform, it is an upgrade over the standard carbine buffer system, regardless of brand name. Companies like SOLGW offer the Vltor A5 system as an upgrade on their carbines. Mike Mihalski is a big fan of it.

I will take reliable over “smooth recoiling” any day, but the Vltor A5 system also smooths out the recoil impulse and makes your AR softer shooting. That is an unintended byproduct, and not what Vltor was focusing on.

The CliffsNotes version:

The USMC knew that the M4 carbines were not as reliable as the M16A4 rifles. They wanted to see what they could do to increase the reliability of the M4 series.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, they decided to see what was already commercially available on the market. They procured a wide selection of “enhanced” buffer systems, to include the Vltor A5, Geissele, silent captured systems, etc. They ran them through a battery of tests, and as the control they used the M16A4 rifle.

Not only did the Vltor A5 buffer system beat all the other carbine buffer systems, it was found to be more reliable than the M16A4 rifle buffer system.

There is a lot more going on in a buffer system than folks realize. There is a reason that the buffer weights inside the buffer are loose and rattley. Vltor took that a step further and added a small spring inside there, as well.

The Vltor A5 is a reliability improvement for the 5.56 AR platform. In that platform, it is an upgrade over the standard carbine buffer system, regardless of brand name. Companies like SOLGW offer the Vltor A5 system as an upgrade on their carbines. Mike Mihalski is a big fan of it.

I will take reliable over “smooth recoiling” any day, but the Vltor A5 system also smooths out the recoil impulse and makes your AR softer shooting. That is an unintended byproduct, and not what Vltor was focusing on.
Good enough for me (and great info).
Thanks!

*And do you sell them in the store?

Back
Top Bottom