• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best bulk handloaded SD bullet?

RamRoddoc

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
62   0
Reaction score
So, retail stores are impossible to obtain ammo and you are forced to MAKE/RELOAD your own SD ammo to protect or barter with.

Which handgun bullets did you wish to buy, when they were offered at bulk prices.

Remington Golden Saber's

Hornady XTP

These two are sold in bulk. Any others?

There are some issues that I won't go into but of the two produced in bulk or another which would you prefer for:

9mm

.38/.357

.40/10mm

.44 Mag/SPL

.45 ACP

Cost, bulk sales and performance gentlemen, what are your considerations. Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you tried Buffalo Bore? I use it in my 10mm and they are hawgs. They ain't cheap but they are available. I know you didn't ask about factory ammo but I love the stuff. Got some good snap to it.

Have you tried Buffalo Bore? I use it in my 10mm and they are hawgs. They ain't cheap but they are available. I know you didn't ask about factory ammo but I love the stuff. Got some good snap to it.

No sir I have not but they are close to my ruthless reloading heart.

The intent is to purchase in bulk reloading bullets to make into really good SD rounds since the production of such rounds no longer exist, at least for the common man. Preferably before they are needed.

Manufactured ammo is not a consideration.

No sir I have not but they are close to my ruthless reloading heart.

The intent is to purchase in bulk reloading bullets to make into really good SD rounds since the production of such rounds no longer exist, at least for the common man. Preferably before they are needed.

Manufactured ammo is not a consideration.

10-4 I was getting into reloading pretty good but don't have the time anymore. If you run across a good firm 10mm round let me know. I do love me some Buffalo Bore.

I've tried the hot Double Tap in 10mm and .357sig & that's some Hard Hittin' shiz!

Speer Gold Dots in 40/10mm and 357mag--Good Enough for lots of Law Enforcement departments. I like the bonded jacket concept.

230 FMJ ball for 45--It's all you need and is not likely to exit the target.

124 grain Gold Dots or Hornady XTP's for the 9mm--Same reasons as the 40/10 and 357.

110 grain Remington Semi-Jacketed HP for the 38--I want the penetration, since I do not get expansion.

Price does not really factor into SD ammo for me, I only make my own in small amounts.

Nice question, glad you did not include the 380, 32ACP, 25ACP or 22 as SD ammo.

Last edited:
Right up front -- the 10mm is my favorite cartridge. Acknowledging that fact, I also think it is too much bullet for self defense when loaded to its max power. I prefer the Forty. My personal skill and ability are optimized with a hi-capacity Forty.

I would like to see the 10mm HST used on some hogs.

Back
Top Bottom