• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best caliber and suppressor for hunting....

20160601_143729.jpg
300 Blackout is a versatile caliber. I would stick with a direct thread can. This one is a surefire genesis. It is a fantastic can, very quiet with a great tone.

I don't think any .30 bullet, even a big 220 grain slug, is going to be an excellent deer-killer at 100 yards or longer when it only starts out with SUBSONIC velocity around 1050 f.p.s., which might drop down to 900 f.p.s. by the time it hits the target at a distance.

Therefore, unless you're 100% certain you need the most quiet weapon/ ammo combination possible, here's my suggestion:

Get a hunting rifle with a factory-threaded muzzle in any respected deer rifle caliber, or the new 6.5 Creedmoor, even if that cartridge is new and not yet proven as a hunting round. It "should be" good on paper, with the right kind of controlled-expansion bullets.

Shoot regular supersonic ammo through it, but use your silencer anyway.

The result will be similar to shooting a .22 LR rifle with high velocity ammo. You'll get a sharp "crack" with each shot, but overall it will be a huge reduction in noise from shooting unsuppressed centerfire big-game calibers.

As for what gun, I don't have a strong preference. The Savage Hog Hunter looks like a good rifle at a fair price that comes with a factory-threaded muzzle. One of those in .308 would take care of any deer / hog/ bear (or other big game) you'd ever find in GA or elsewhere in the USA, out to at few hundred yards.

P.S.

I'd like to see some gun company come out with a .44 / .45 bore lever action rifle that's set up to be ready for hunting with heavy subsonic ammo through a suppressor.
Make the barrel threaded for the same thread diameter and pitch that is used for .458 SOCOM suppressors.
Raise the rifle's iron sights to see over the top of the can's body.
Give the barrel a fast twist rate to stabilize 300-400 grain bullets.

Since you can't increase the velocity of a round over 1050 if you want to keep it subsonic and very quiet, the only thing you can do to give it more kinetic energy is use a bigger slug.
A .45-70 lever gun that throws a 400-grain bullet, and let's call it the kind with a pointy rubber / polymer tip like Hornady's LeverRevolution round, at 1050 f.p.s. will slam the target with a lot more energy than a .30 bullet weighing 200-225 grains at the same velocity.

7FB5EFD8-EE21-4918-B0F5-CDA0912A7582.jpeg
300blk is a great caliber for general hunting in GA IF and that’s a big IF you use the proper bullets and you hit where you are aiming. I’ve shot about 10 deer with mine and haven’t lost a single one.
I am using an AAC 762sd can. Wish I would have gone direct thread

Another vote for the 300 blk out. I’m running an ARC-30 with a 16” Anderson built rifle, and 125gr supers, surprisingly quiet in the woods. Im not going to take a shot over 100 yards on my land.

LR308 carbine shooting full power 308 with a Harvester 7.62 is my current setup. Just built a 7.62x39 AR that sounded great suppressed during testing in the woods (about like a 45acp with my TiRant45). Just waiting to scope it up and start carrying it. BTW, 7.62x39 HP is a wicked deer round that does a lot of damage if you are hunting under 150 yards (most of GA). My avatar (and many others) fell to my old AR 7.62x39 rifle that I can't suppress (Clinton era special) without a lot of machine work being done to it.

If I were getting another can to hunt with, Silencerco Omega would be at the top of my list. I have an ARC30; but it is really heavy for hunting and how is changes the balance of the rifle. Off a bench, it is awesome for noise reduction.

P.S.

I'd like to see some gun company come out with a .44 / .45 bore lever action rifle that's set up to be ready for hunting with heavy subsonic ammo through a suppressor.
Make the barrel threaded for the same thread diameter and pitch that is used for .458 SOCOM suppressors.
Raise the rifle's iron sights to see over the top of the can's body.
Give the barrel a fast twist rate to stabilize 300-400 grain bullets.

Since you can't increase the velocity of a round over 1050 if you want to keep it subsonic and very quiet, the only thing you can do to give it more kinetic energy is use a bigger slug.
A .45-70 lever gun that throws a 400-grain bullet, and let's call it the kind with a pointy rubber / polymer tip like Hornady's LeverRevolution round, at 1050 f.p.s. will slam the target with a lot more energy than a .30 bullet weighing 200-225 grains at the same velocity.
Yep. I've been waiting for some company to come to this conclusion and start offering the right combo.

IMG_4200.JPG
I plan to shoot pigs suppressed with a 300bo rifle after deer season. I just can't take the chance when I'm deer hunting to go suppressed yet. Some of my shots are well over 100 yards and I can't take a chance when the "big daddy might appear. Even .308 vs 7mag, I go to the 7 mag because I'm confident with it. Glad I had it last Tuesday morning.

Back
Top Bottom