• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best caliber and suppressor for hunting....

Nice deer. Just make sure you are sure of POI with a suppressor and shoot a box of ammo to verify. Once you hunt suppressed, you will not be heading out without it. Instead of BOOM, you get pew/crack.

Well first of all, did I miss the part where you are asking about caliber for an AR platform? I thought you just wanted any caliber, and platform didn't matter. So are we good with bolt guns too?

Secondly, subsonic small bore calibers for hunting, is less than ideal. Can you kill a deer with subsonic ammo? Yes. But you can kill a deer with a sling shot too, that doesn't make it the best tool for the job. If the caliber starts with a 4, you might be ok, but then what are you going to do about the yotes?

Third, the three animals you mentioned wanting to hunt, vary greatly in their makeup and when it comes to ammunition, matching the cartridge to the game is always important. I am going to assume you want to buy one gun, in one caliber and hunt all three. This would require something tough enough for the hog, effective on the deer and something that wouldn't ruin pelts too bad on the yotes.

Answer: 25-06. (80-120 grain depending upon the game)
Oh, and yeah, direct thread .30 caliber can.

Another vote for the 300 blk out. I’m running an ARC-30 with a 16” Anderson built rifle, and 125gr supers, surprisingly quiet in the woods. Im not going to take a shot over 100 yards on my land.
Rem 700 SPS Tac in 300 BO with a AAC SDN 6 shooting 120 Barnes Bullets
There are several new 198+ grain sub sonic hunting rounds that are devestating at 100 meters

If you want pellet gun / paintball marker quiet, you'll be looking at throwing a .30 caliber bullet that weighs 200-220 gr. at a m.v. of 1050 ft./s.
That's not a lot of kinetic energy for big game.

I'd go with supersonic ammo. A .308 with full power military loads can sound like a .22 pistol with regular high velocity ammo.
I shot one. The can was a model from Liberty Suppressors of Trenton, GA (not far from the TN line).

I don't care for direct thread, honestly. I'm happy with my taper mount system, except for the fact that I have more invested in muzzle devices than I do in the can itself, lol! (A legitimate concern if money is tight.) However, there's no way I could afford a suppressor for each rifle I currently suppress.

My 9mm can is direct thread, and it comes loose after several shots unless I use a thread locker of some kind...which I prefer not to do since it gets used on several pistols. I've had a couple end cap strikes on that one. My taper mount suppressor actually gets tighter as I shoot it, so I've yet to have a baffle or end cap strike. But, the market offers both for a reason.

Personally, I would get a 30cal suppressor. A good one will be rated up to 300 Win Mag, and you can always use a less potent cartridge such as 308, 300blk, 6.8SPC, whatever you fell is adequate for the hunt that day.

Nice deer. Just make sure you are sure of POI with a suppressor and shoot a box of ammo to verify. Once you hunt suppressed, you will not be heading out without it. Instead of BOOM, you get pew/crack.
I’m resurrecting this one a bit, but you are right. I killed two deer while hunting suppressed last year and it was really neat hearing the bullet hit the deer. It was a pew/thud/crack.

I would like to see Winchester, Marlin, or Henry come out with a big bore lever action hunting rifle made for suppressor use. It should have a rail for optics; it should also have extra tall iron sights. The muzzle should be threaded at the factory.

This lever action rifle could be chambered in 45 colt or 44 magnum and it should be given an extra fast twist to stabilize the heavy bullets in the 300 grain weight range weight range.

A .45" wide bullet that weighs 300 grains has a lot more kinetic energy

I would like to see Winchester, Marlin, or Henry come out with a big bore lever action hunting rifle made for suppressor use. It should have a rail for optics; it should also have extra tall iron sights. The muzzle should be threaded at the factory.

This lever action rifle could be chambered in 45 colt or 44 magnum and it should be given an extra fast twist to stabilize the heavy bullets in the 300 grain weight range weight range.

A .45" wide bullet that weighs 300 grains has a lot more kinetic energy
I like it, but think about the 458 Socom for the round. There is already subsonic ammunition available with a 500 grain expanding bullet. It's a hammer.

I'm not going to debate the "Best" calibers (although I do like 300 BLK). I do however have a few favorite cans for hunting rifles. Thunder Beast Ultra 7, Dead Air Sandman S, and the SilencerCo Omega. The Thunder Beast sounds amazing, has very minimal but repeatable POI shift, and it's lite weight. It's definitely pricey though.

Back
Top Bottom