• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Caliber for DEER hunting in GA.

I gotta lot of great "deer rifles" chambered in very effective cartridges but if I had to pick the best overall I would have to say 30-06. It's way more accurate than most people will ever give it credit for (most naysayers have never owned a good one) It covers the distances from up close to way out yonder with a very predictable trajectory and has plenty of giddy up and killing power at those distances without being "too much gun" or "not enough gun".
This year I think I'll hunt with my new .308 carbine though. just because I didn't pick it as the best there is no doubt it is quite adequate, and my little carbine is just so easy to carry and point. Who knows maybe next I'll cut down an 06 and see what happens :)

I think the terrain dictates what's best. I've used a 35 marlin quite a bit in the hollers and ridges. It's a great short range round for the white tail. I wouldn't want it in a big flat field down south though!.

Best caliber is what fills your needs. I tend to use a 7x57, .270 or 30-06 depending on where I am hunting. I have been known to use a 20 gauge with slugs a time or two. I see no reason to feel under gunned by not using a whiz bang magnum better suited for dangerous game. My intention is to eat a deer....not blow it into jello.

Back
Top Bottom