• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best catfish baits

I have just begun fishing for BIG catfish and still have a lot to learn. A question for the trophy catfishermen on GON. If you went out to target heavyweight catfish (it may be a different answer for the different species), and you could only take one type bait, what would it be (excluding live shad,bream, etc..) ??
Just curious, where are you fishing for big cats?

I have just begun fishing for BIG catfish and still have a lot to learn. A question for the trophy catfishermen on GON. If you went out to target heavyweight catfish (it may be a different answer for the different species), and you could only take one type bait, what would it be (excluding live shad,bream, etc..) ??

I'm no pro, but learned from some very successful Striper and Catfish guys many years ago. My wife and I duplicated what they taught us, and started catching big Stripers and Catfish.

The things you put in the excluding parentheses (live shad, bream, etc..) are EXACTLY what you are going to have the most success with, unfortunately. We used Shad I caught with a cast net, and you will need a good quality bait tank with rock salt.

Nets, good bait tank, etc., and learn how to throw a net will get you there.

Prolly not what you wanted to hear, but if you want to target big kitties and Stripers, live or cut shad is the ticket.

Quality nets and bait tanks aren't cheap though :(

I'm no pro, but learned from some very successful Striper and Catfish guys many years ago. My wife and I duplicated what they taught us, and started catching big Stripers and Catfish.

The things you put in the excluding parentheses (live shad, bream, etc..) are EXACTLY what you are going to have the most success with, unfortunately. We used Shad I caught with a cast net, and you will need a good quality bait tank with rock salt.

Nets, good bait tank, etc., and learn how to throw a net will get you there.

Prolly not what you wanted to hear, but if you want to target big kitties and Stripers, live or cut shad is the ticket.

Quality nets and bait tanks aren't cheap though :(
Rock salt?

Rock salt?

Yep, your shad will stay a lot friskier in a bait tank for a long day with rock salt. We had a 50 gallon Super Bait Tank II (with aeration), and I usually put 5 cups of rock salt in it. Bait stayed frisky all day.

5 Cups was in the summer, in cool and cold weather you can get by with considerably less.

Back
Top Bottom