• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best deer Caliber choice

Best deer rifle cartridges if you had to pick just one.

• 30-30

• 30-06

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• 6.5 Grendel

• 7mm

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.
45-70..
its just a little larger than a 45lc. knocks down anything in the woods. just took one this morning with mine.. in deer size targets the core lockt does not expand much. it does some internal organ damage,but i i just go for lung/heart or base of neck. it shuts them down.

But if you had to choose just one.....Though I've recently switched to Creedmoor lately, I would be hard pressed to pick between .308 and 30-30 for top pick.

My favorite is my 35 remington
NLBD9340.JPG

I remember a buddy giving me the green light to hunt his family’s property... I asked what boom stick I should bring and he said whatever I want...

I snagged my grandfather’s 12 gauge slug gun and found myself on a tripod 30’ in the air overlooking 300+ yards of fields hahaha

I knew I was screwed until 5 deer were literally below me at the base of the stand, dropped one with a neck shot and it got up and ran off to the neighboring field. A few min later I heard a shot... my buddy shot the deer that I tagged hahaha

So the moral of my experience is, know your hunting spot and choose the proper caliber based off of that. I wish I had brought my .308 that day lol

You just opened a can of worms..... I use a 257WBY for open plains shots and a 375H&H for brush hunting these days. I've taken most of my deer with a 308WIN. I've taken as many as 3 deer at a time with pistol, single shot, bolt action, lever action, semi auto and muzzle loader

Back
Top Bottom