• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Deer Rifle for $400-$550

Espartis

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
60   0
Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking to pick up my first bolt action deer rifle. I've been looking at everything from remington 700s, to Weatherby vangaurds, to cz 550s, to Savage Model 10s, to Beretta Tika T3 Lites, to Mossberg 100s & 4x4s.

Also I've looked at all rounds from .270, 7mm, .300,.308, & 30-06.

I have a my first big deer trip planned with a soon to be uncle in-law who hunts year round. We're going to get up in some stands and do some hunting. He says he has a clearing that gets to out to about 300 yards sometimes with shots, but 90% of the stuff from the stand I'll be in will be at 100 yards or closer.

I need a good set up with scope preferably........basically would like a ready to shoot package. I've seen a lot of great looking stuff for sale up here on the trader...but dont know what to go for. HELLLLPPPP!!!!!!! :frusty:

This is about as personal a decision as the person you decide to marry. Granted, not necessarily as permanent as marriage, but about as intimate.

Personally, for the money, I think the best values out there are the Tikka T3's or CZ 550's. I like the slightly longer barrel of the CZ personally.

All of the rifles you listed are capable and accurate weapons...in the end, it should come down to which one feels most natural when you shoulder it. My real suggestion is to go to a place like Adventure Outdoors that has all of these in stock, and see which one feels best in your hands. And no, I don't work there - but I know what they carry in stock.

i know i will get bashed for this but the mossberg 4x4s are slick looking affordable very accurate guns ...a friend of mine picked up one in 308 with the laminate stock the fluted barrel and the muzzle brake and its got that sweet little lighting bolt trigger ....ofcourse i will always have a deep lust for savages though and they can be had for around 200 dollars used (usually in .270)

This is about as personal a decision as the person you decide to marry. Granted, not necessarily as permanent as marriage, but about as intimate.

Personally, for the money, I think the best values out there are the Tikka T3's or CZ 550's. I like the slightly longer barrel of the CZ personally.

All of the rifles you listed are capable and accurate weapons...in the end, it should come down to which one feels most natural when you shoulder it. My real suggestion is to go to a place like Adventure Outdoors that has all of these in stock, and see which one feels best in your hands. And no, I don't work there - but I know what they carry in stock.

Adventure outdoors was the LGS I go to and figured they had an extensive list of rifles I could check out. I'm tempted to go with a more attainable round like a 30-06 or a .308. But since this is going to be a hunting rifle I should always have enough time to order any hard to find caliber if need be.

Man this is going to be a tough decision

Man this is going to be a tough decision

I acutally know the owner of AO very well, and am doing some work for them at the moment. They will have anything you want to see...especially if it is a common caliber you are looking for.

I handgun hunt more than I tote a rifle in the woods...and my rifle is a levergun in .35 Rem - so that's not helpful either.

I will say that my dad has always been a .30-06 guy...but this year he is trying out a .270. Out to 300 yards...there's really not much difference between .270, .30-06 and .308. .270 will be the least recoil of the bunch you listed...and ammo's not hard to find for any of your listed calibers.

If and when I buy a new rifle...I'm going dual purpose and buying something chambered for .25-06. That way I can hunt deer with the heavier loadings...or load down and pop predators and varmints.

I never said the decision would be an easy one...:D

wow well looks like I got my work cut out for myself here in narrowing down. haha a part of me wants to just take my ar15 with the 5x red dot I have on it...but I think i would get a funny look from these guys...they are traditionalist when it comes to hunting with a rifle

My advice is do not worry to much about it. All the above advice is good. You really cannot go wrong with any of the name brands (CZ Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Mosberg, Tikka,Marlin,etc). At 100-200 yards they are all going to do the job if you do yours.
There is something to be said for the "big three" calibers; you can get them almost anywhere. I was in Dicks Sporting goods yesterday and all they had in rifle caliber was 30-06. 30-30 and 270.

My advice is four part:
1) Tryout them if you can, at least holding them.
2) If purchasing used, find the one with the best glass, or buy one for 250 and spend ~200-250 on a scope.
3) Buy something "common" as a first gun and cartridge - It will make for easier purchase of parts/accessories/ammunition and make it easy to resell. (Ask the guy with the customized enfield 1917 in 257 wiz-bang.)
4) Most important - Get it soon and practice. Just because the last guy was a MOA shooter with that rifle and scope does not mean it will work for you without practice.

p.s. Other will tell you different but i Highly advise agains using the AR. .223 just doesn't leave much room for mistake.

My advice is do not worry to much about it. All the above advice is good. You really cannot go wrong with any of the name brands (CZ Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Mosberg, Tikka,Marlin,etc). At 100-200 yards they are all going to do the job if you do yours.
There is something to be said for the "big three" calibers; you can get them almost anywhere. I was in Dicks Sporting goods yesterday and all they had in rifle caliber was 30-06. 30-30 and 270.

My advice is four part:
1) Tryout them if you can, at least holding them.
2) If purchasing used, find the one with the best glass, or buy one for 250 and spend ~200-250 on a scope.
3) Buy something "common" as a first gun and cartridge - It will make for easier purchase of parts/accessories/ammunition and make it easy to resell. (Ask the guy with the customized enfield 1917 in 257 wiz-bang.)
4) Most important - Get it soon and practice. Just because the last guy was a MOA shooter with that rifle and scope does not mean it will work for you without practice.

p.s. Other will tell you different but i Highly advise agains using the AR. .223 just doesn't leave much room for mistake.

^^^This. I agree with everything said. Especially the last statement...NO room error with a .223 and deer hunting. A .25-06 will do MUCH more damage on impact than a .223 in respect to a deer, and I consider that the smallest I would ever hunt with personally. And even then...I wouldn't hunt deer with a sub-100gr. .25-06 round.

Actually...I'll go one step further. I'd go for the .270 as a first deer rifle...especially if you are used to shooting a .223. Now what rifle...that's up to you.

Back
Top Bottom