• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Do-It-Yourself Reloading Workbench Ideas?

Traderman2011

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
164   2
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reloading for about a year now with a Lee turret press, and just this past week decided that I wanted to upgrade to a progressive press to start reloading my 223 and 308 in larger quantities. I have a 3/4" homemade workbench on reinforced 2x4"s that seems to work fine for my Lee single stage, but I'm thinking with the increased equipment weight (I purchased the Lock N Load AP, the Lock N Load automatic bullet feeder, and the Lock N Load automatic case feeder), that I'm going to need something thicker to withstand not only the increased weight, but also the increased workload and stress on the work surface, if that makes sense. I'm going to keep my single stage for loading precision ammo, so dimensions of this new bench are a factor. It is set up in garage and still need to be able to get the car and all the other stuff in there. The only other option is to build something large enough (but still stay within about 6' wide max) that will accomodate both the automatic press and my single stage. To top it all off, I'm left handed and have realized quickly that reloading equipment is prtty much dedicated to right handed people, so my bench is backward from what most people would set up. Max workspace area is about 5' wide, depth off the wall is not important and can be up to 3' from the wall and as high as 7' if I integrate some shelving or whatnot.

The other factor is that I am going to be reloading more than just 223 and 308 once I get the hang of it. I purchased all the shell plates, bullet feeder plates, case feeder plates, etc for both large and small rifle and large and small pistols (4 plates in total). I know there are a large number of guys on here that have large setups and have whole rooms dedicated to loading...I don't have that luxury, but eventually will take one over in the house! LOL.

If anyone wants to pitch in to help build it once I get the specs laid out, I'll have some beer and grill some burgers and dogs or something (only during the building process, won't be doing any reloading while drinking!)

Last edited:
My buddy came and helped me build a bench. I bought a solid wood interior door, the legs are 4x4, the frame under the table (with a 3 inch lip) is 2x4's and I have a shelf near the bottom with 1X3's supporting a piece of plywood. I had the 4 x 4's cut at home depot and my buddy and i did the rest in under an hour with a mitre saw, impact driver and wood screws. Thing is sturdy as a rock.

On my second reloding bench(I sold my first one), I definitely wanted, like you, a beefier set up. I went with a 2X4 frame(3ft deep and 6ftlong) with supports on the top and bottom. The legs are 4X4 posts. I made sure that this table was taller than my last one also, it is 4ft. I used a piece of OSB on top covered by sandyply(the thin hardwood sheet) that I had sanded down VERY smooth, stained and covered with spray on polyurethane (at least that what the can said). I then sanded this down with very fine sandpaper to produce a final surface. I only regret that I did not build shelves or at the very least a peg board, however I do have shelving available where the bench is (My Kitchen). I guess I could go back and add some sometime if I ever move the bench. But yes to your point, make it sturdy, if you are like me you hate a wobbly bench! If you werent so far away I would be happy to help you!

This is what I have come up with. I haven't used the Dillon yet waiting on my dies.
i75.photobucket.com_albums_i296_lochson_DSCF0123.jpg

Thanks for the input do far guys! I like the idea of the 4x4's as legs and a solid 3-4" top with lower shelving. I also am going to use your idea about the pegboard to hold tools and supplies and whatnot.

Is there a benefit to having a non-permeable surface? I could see it being easier to clean and also less hassle with avoiding splinters if you use plywood as a top; is there anything else to keep in mind? I'm going to plan something this weekend, as my bullet feeder, case feeder, and new dies will be here tomorrow. Used my Lee today to deprime a few hundred 223 cases...
On that note, do I need to deprime my cases before tumbling? Everything I've seen says yes, but then what is the point of a depriming/ sizing station on the progressive press?

Hey man. I'm happy to come help out with the building if you'd like. Here's a picture of the one I built recently. If you have a wall to anchor it to it will be much sturdier.

i50.tinypic.com_243hnaf.jpg

You don't need a non-permeable surface. IMO I don't want any possible contamination source (auch as splinters or and wood pieces) this why I covered the OSB with the sandyply' plus doing this was cheaper than hardwood plywood.

I built a 2ft x 4 ft . bench using a single sheet of plywood cut into quarters and screwed together all 4 pieces to have a 4 layer top. I used an oak 4x4 for the legs and 2x6 for the cross pieces of the legs . so far plenty strong but probably should have been bigger .

Back
Top Bottom