• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Do-It-Yourself Reloading Workbench Ideas?

Hey man. I'm happy to come help out with the building if you'd like. Here's a picture of the one I built recently. If you have a wall to anchor it to it will be much sturdier.

i50.tinypic.com_243hnaf.jpg

That nice wood trim around the table top is really attractive. I think that's the wood that bugs infest and it stains the wood to a nice figure/color. Nice bench!

Very nice and I like the idea of the air compressor next to the bench. Mine is on another wall in the garage, and I've got a 50ft hose reel on it, but I can see the benefit of having it at arms reach rather than going to get it and unroll 10ft or so. Another great idea!

Thanks, i live in a trailer and this is in my office/man cave in the back room, if i need the compressor i just hook up a 50ft hose and run it out the front door which is only 15 feet away.

For mounting my loading machines (Dillon XL650) I used a 2x12 as the mounting section. I cut up another 2x12 to make the end supports and two internal supports every four feet - the bench is 12 feet long. I used another 2x12 as the base.
So there's two 12 foot sections and the four supports are - make them fit your preference. Somewhere around three feet.

Then, I added some corner braces made from scrap plywood on all four corners and top and bottom of each support. Were I not so cheap, I'd have just covered the whole back side with thin plywood as bracing and to keep stuff from falling off the back of the internal shelves.

The whole thing is screwed to the wall AFTER leveling the bench top. (The basement room I used is not level on the floor. Not even close.) The solid bottom makes leveling much easier with graduated 'shims' - cut off lengths of wood scrap.

It's pretty strong and doesn't wobble when using the progressive loader. The only storage is underneath, for tool heads and switch over parts. Some small hand tools - screw drivers, pliers, bullet puller - are on the wall on a peg board section. All brass, powder, primers and bullets are on a Rigid Rack shelf unit close by.

One of the best ideas I have seen uses 3/4 plywood. Three layers for the top, the top layer has a cutout like 5"x5" where he wanted the press, the middle layer had like an 8"x8" cutout indexed on the top layer cutout. The press was mounted on a two ply layer with the toplayer being 5"x5" and the bottom layer 8"x8". This way he could use the bench for other stuff and not have the press in the way. As I recall this bench had three such cutouts and he could mount a turret press on one his powder thrower on another and a single stage press in the third area for his factory crimp die.

Back
Top Bottom