Best Handguns for Household with Small Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepinshep

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
One of my main qualms with the XD line is the lack of a mechanical safety (other than certain tactical/service models). Yes, they have the "grip safety" and the "trigger safety". But, IMHO, neither of those really count as a "safety", since any idiot who picks up a gun is gonna depress the grip safety with their natural grip, and natural trigger pull depressed the trigger safety.

My question is, I have two toddlers in my home, and am looking to trade my XD40SC out of concern that they or one of my retarded brother-in-laws will pick up my gun and kill somebody by accident.

I keep my pistol chambered out of necessity (the "just-in-case" moments). Recognizing general gun rules about keeping them out of reach of children, I was wondering what handguns you recommend that have that added security of a mechanical safety - just in case.

Keeping in mind though, that this would also be for concealed carry, so a full-size 1911 wouldn't be very practical in that sense.

My brother (a police officer), recommended a sub-compact 1911. But I wanted to get the ODT input as well.

In a home where young children are located, a "hot" (locked & loaded) weapon should either be within COMPLETE control of a responsible adult at all times, or stored "cleared" - in a manner that would make it impossible for the children to get to the weapon.

If you live in an area where you feel it is necessary to have a hot weapon laying around "just-in-case" you may want to consider moving. If moving is out of the question, you may have to wait until the children are older and trained to resume that level of readiness.

As your children grow up, make them comfortable with firearms by allowing them to shoot a firearm in a safe, learning environment. When your children become responsible enough to help defend your home 'just-in-case" then it may be time to allow for having hot weapons in easy to get to locations within your home.

Also: If your brothers-in-law are so stupid as to pick up a weapon and point it at something that they are not willing to have destroyed (or even to check to see if it is loaded), ban them from your home. You can train your children, but you cannot trust your brothers-in-law.

A home defense shotgun may be better than a handgun to have in the house with small children.
As far as handguns go...I had a Taurus revolver that had a little key lock built into it but you may as well not have a gun if your gonna keep it locked.

In a home where young children are located, a "hot" (locked & loaded) weapon should either be within COMPLETE control of a responsible adult at all times, or stored "cleared" - in a manner that would make it impossible for the children to get to the weapon.

It seems the general consensus among gun owners is to keep it hot because the extra step to chamber could make all the difference in the world. As it is, I don't keep it hot for the very reason of not having the mech safety.

If you live in an area where you feel it is necessary to have a hot weapon laying around "just-in-case"

Um.....please note that nowhere in my post did I say that I leave my gun "laying around". I am not an idiot. I hope that the context of my post didn't make it sound like I just leaving sitting on the coffee table or anything like that....

Also: If your brothers-in-law are so stupid as to pick up a weapon and point it at something that they are not willing to have destroyed (or even to check to see if it is loaded), ban them from your home. You can train your children, but you cannot trust your brothers-in-law.

My younger brother-in-law got a pretty healthy slap to the face on Thanksgiving because he pulled it out of the buffet drawer and started swinging it around like a brainless git. I knew it was un-chambered when I put it in the drawer, but he didn't. I laid into him pretty good and instructed him that if he ever touched one of my firearms again without consulting me, he would no longer be welcome in my home...

If you live in an area where you feel it is necessary to have a hot weapon laying around "just-in-case" you may want to consider moving. If moving is out of the question, you may have to wait until the children are older and trained to resume that level of readiness.

As your children grow up, make them comfortable with firearms by allowing them to shoot a firearm in a safe, learning environment. When your children become responsible enough to help defend your home 'just-in-case" then it may be time to allow for having hot weapons in easy to get to locations within your home.

This^^^^^^I don't think he meant "just laying around where a child could pick it up" Probably meant living in a real bad neighborhood.

Last edited:
I believe the Kimber Pro CDP II (and other similar 1911s) has a thumb safety and the classic 1911 grip safety.

As mikeh said, though, the best safety is education. Teach them from a young age what a gun is, how it works, and how to use it. Then any gun becomes just another standard item, not a "whoa look a gun! Let's see what I can do with it!" item.

Just my .02. That's what id do with my kids (when I have them one day lol) at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom