• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Handguns for Household with Small Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a fan of the Taurus locks personally (aside from one malfunctioning in a revolver and causing me to nearly shoot my finger off). The key is so small in a stressful situation you may not be able to manipulate it.

I like the Bersa 380 as well, if you remove the magazine (even with the chamber loaded) the gun will not fire. and a magazine is easier to manipulate than a key.

I have a son who is now 6...When he was 5, I showed him my gun and explained to him that it was not a toy and people can die or get hurt and I told him when he gets older he can learn more about it. I then told him that he cannot touch this at all. Even though I store my gun out of reach from him but I had my gun laying around a couple of time...Unloaded with an empty mag just as a test run and my lil boy just walked right pass it a couple of times not looking at the thing. I rather have my boy know its not a toy rather than him being curious george and wanting to touch it. Unfortunately this doesnt work for all kids but thank god mines has a good understanding and respect to what his parents say to him and he does listen.

If you are gonna keep a gun in the house for protection, then use a trigger lock or whatever, keep a baseball bat close at hand. Because that's what you will end up using in a home invasion. My children, and now my Grandchildren all know that "You never touch Poppy's guns", never, ever. if you are not at that point, then consider a programable gun safe and keep it close at hand. I think they even make one that reads your fingerprints (which leaves your wife up the creek without a handgun). It sounds like your only option is a pump shotgun (every scumbag on earth recognizes the sound of that shotgun being racked back). You can keep it fully loaded, without a round chambered (that sound will act as a deterant in it's own right) and hang it high on the wall, out of reach of little ones. But education at an early age is the key.

. It sounds like your only option is a pump shotgun (every scumbag on earth recognizes the sound of that shotgun being racked back). You can keep it fully loaded, without a round chambered (that sound will act as a deterant in it's own right) and hang it high on the wall, out of reach of little ones.

That sound will also let everyone else know where you are and what you have.

Luke

okay I'm not reading through all the post so someone may have mentioned it...But what about one of those little one pistol safes that open with just your touch, no dials to turn or locks to deal with....you could keep it loaded and safe...otherwise do like my grandpaw did and just put it up real high where they cant reach it even with a chair, he kept his and still does on top of his wardrobe....plus if someone breaks in there not likely to look up there anyways..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom