• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Handguns for Household with Small Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
You asked what is a good pistol to leave loaded in the reach of children. I dont think there is one. But as several people have also stated, education should be a top priority.

My seven year old boy would rather wear a pink dress to school for a week than to touch a weapon without proper adult permission and supervision. He has the same healthy respect for guns that i do.

My seven year old boy would rather wear a pink dress to school for a week than to touch a weapon without proper adult permission and supervision. He has the same healthy respect for guns that i do.

This is wonderful!! Responsible parenting at its best, I'd say.

thats sounds like its within childs reach

That is referring to my brother-in-law. Who is 22. If you consider that a child.....

My kids are 3 and 4 years old and can't reach the drawers of my buffet.

No need to try to justify your hasty comment. I was just pointing out that you miquoted me.

Jeepinshep:

There are three components to every communication.

1) What you tried to say
2) What you actually said
3) What the other pearson heard.

Sometimes none of these three components are the same.

I think the way you stated your original post implied a loaded weapon stored in an accessable location in a home with children (and idiot adults):

My question is, I have two toddlers in my home, and am looking to trade my XD40SC out of concern that they or one of my retarded brother-in-laws will pick up my gun and kill somebody by accident.

If your weapon is stored properly or on your person no one other than you should be able to "pick up my gun".

You then implied that a weapon's mechanical safety will be the solution to the situation:

I keep my pistol chambered out of necessity (the "just-in-case" moments). Recognizing general gun rules about keeping them out of reach of children, I was wondering what handguns you recommend that have that added security of a mechanical safety - just in case.

That is why I stated (back on page 1) that the only place for a loaded "just-in-case" weapon is under the control of a responsible adult.

Your question about a mechanical safety is predicated on the idea that children or irresponsible adults may gain access to the weapon when it is capable of firing.

That being said, here is my opinion about mechanical safeties:

The only reason a safety exists on any sort of single action weapon is to help prevent an acccidential discharge in case the weapon is dropped.

A safety on a modern double action weapon is near useless.

Mechanical safeties exists only to provide a false sense of security and can lead to unsafe weapon handling because the weapon is "safe".

/opinion

Having an uncocked, double action weapon that is chambered with a safety "on" lying in a locked box (because of the children) is no safer than having one with no safety in the same condition.

Most double action revolvers do not have any "safety" because they are not needed. The weapon requires a positive action by the operator to fire. The same applies to a semi-automatic pistol that is first-shot double action.

Also, remember an on-board gun LOCK is not a safety, it is a lock.

I am not trying to be a smartass.

When it is necessary to have a weapon "just-in-case", keep it within your control. When you cannot be armed (i.e. showering) you will have to store the weapon in way the COMPLETELY prevents your children from firing it: Locked up or unloaded (or both).

A mechanical safety will only lead you to a false sense of security and possible tragedy.

Do not complicate a self defense situation with a "safety". How many times have you pulled the trigger on a rifle only to have forgotten to turn the safety off? Just be aware in how you store your weapon. Be well trained in its operation, and when it is your children's time, train them.

Last thing: Do not wish away the time your children are small and full of wonder. It will be over too quickly.

Stay safe.

I don't get it. How are you all hearing only what you want to hear? As several of the posters in this thread have made clear: children are curious - slamming me for asking the question which is the title of this post. But in the next breath they go on to say that they keep several guns "hidden" throughout the house and they are "never more than 20 feet away from a gun" at any given location in their house. I don't keep it within reach of my children. I thought I made that pretty clear by saying "OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN". But everyone seems to be skimming past the OBVIOUS statements and making accusations based upon what THEY presume I meant in other statements about the safety of the GUN (NOT children's access to the gun).

GHEESH! You all are doing a fine job of trying to make me look irresponsible. But please go back and reread my original statements and don't try to make deductions of you're own based on what you THINK I meant...

I don't think anyone is "slamming" you.
Most posters including myself do not believe you can have this discussion with out the safety first mentality. The gun, no matter how many safeties it has will not prevent a child from finding it or a curious child from manipulating it.
All guns should be considered loaded.
All unsecured guns are dangerous in a household with children or visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom