• Stick with Danner

• Other (Please state)

Results are only viewable after voting.

GeorgiaHunter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
35   0
Reaction score
I have plantar fasciitis and am back in the market for a good shoe. For the last two or three years I have been wearing a low cut Danner hiking shoe. But they are wearing out and Danner has discontinued them.

The whole concept of a hiking shoe is what has worked best so far, since being afflicted with PF in the last decade. Most hiking shoes have a nylon arch support shank built into the sole. And it really makes a difference.

So since Danner let me down by discontinuing my shoe, I wondered what the ODT brain trust recommends. I've been looking at Merrells:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/MERR...LbLI0G2dGPxAnP-3XyBoCCt8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

just because they seem so readily available and seem a better value than a lot of brands out there. I'm specifically looking for a low, hiking shoe without GoreTex or other "waterproof-breathable" liner. And I would prefer to not spend more than $100 (but I will if there is an obvious choice).

Attachments

• 20171218_233353.jpg
    20171218_233353.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 33
If you wear keens and rub enough castor oil into yer feet and stretch yer toes out all the way with bent knee planks every morning fer a year you’ll be fine.

You gotta build yer toe muscles back up. Support just makes em weaker.

Buy a pair of Dr Schol's arch supports. I had a custom pair made by an Orthopedic for my PF for years, when they wore out got the off the shelf Dr Schol's and found them to be as good.
As far as boots, I have had a pair of Vasque Skywalkers for years. Comfortable and durable.

I really like my La Sportiva genesis GTX,they're waterproof and light. You ever tried a planter fasciitis boot? I have one that I slept in for a few weeks and it really helped mine.

The most important thing is fit, not the company. I wear an 8 EEEE shoe(think a shoe box with a hole cut into the top). I backpack, so fit is critical. I have worn New Balance/Dunham, Keens and occasionally shoes from the Hitchcock Shoe company which specializes in wide sizes. Even buying the same shoe but a couple of years later may cause problems. I have been wearing Keen low cuts for a number of years, but flat wore them out. Bought the exact same shoe this year and after breaking them in, went on a 50 miler in Virginia. The blisters those shoes gave me almost killed the hike.
Did I mention that fit is critical:D

If you wear keens and rub enough castor oil into yer feet and stretch yer toes out all the way with bent knee planks every morning fer a year you’ll be fine.

You gotta build yer toe muscles back up. Support just makes em weaker.
I wear Keens daily and have no issues.....My podiatrist said they were the best for my arches. If you have a wide foot, Keens are perfect.

Back
Top Bottom