• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best low cost tumbler media and case lube recipe I've ever had

GeorgiaShooter

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
43   0
Reaction score
I've been reloading a very long time. Years ago I found a seller on Ebay who sold a 50/50 corn cob + walnut mixture and ships in a bulk USPS box. The supply I bought has lasted 7-8 years and I still have more because this method somehow makes it last many times longer than any media I had before. He said to add a cap full of clear mineral spirits and run until mixed then add the brass.

I started using a few drops of Mcguiar's liquid hybrid ceramic/wax. Not only does this make brass shine in a quarter the time but I haven't bought a can of Hornady case lube spray in years. I do have a can that I occasionally spray a dash on some of my dies to really smooth them out. Even with just the cap of spirits you're perfectly fine and theres a slickness it adds to the cases.

I let them sit in plastic bins for a little while before using but it has never fouled my primers. On the other hand spraying brass with things like teflon silicone then drying overnight has. I went to some nationals with squibs and misfires. Never do that again.

I've told many people and they believe I'm FOS. I bought a steel pin tumbler for a while which was pretty nice for making brass like new but frankly was too damned much work for the result. Not to mention the deprimer hitting one of those steel media pins you missed. Try this sometime and see what you think.

I use a wet tumbler with no pins at all. I just put the recipe in there and the brass about 10 pounds of it, then
let it run for about 45 minutes, rinse them, then dry them for another 45 minutes and they are done. I quit using a dry tumbler a while ago. This process is much faster than dry tumbling and the results are much much better. I have 3 dry tumblers that never get used anymore.

I use a wet tumbler with no pins at all. I just put the recipe in there and the brass about 10 pounds of it, then
let it run for about 45 minutes, rinse them, then dry them for another 45 minutes and they are done. I quit using a dry tumbler a while ago. This process is much faster than dry tumbling and the results are much much better. I have 3 dry tumblers that never get used anymore.
Interesting. What recipe do you use? I wish i could run across a small used concrete mixer and do larger amounts too.

Interesting. What recipe do you use? I wish i could run across a small used concrete mixer and do larger amounts too.
My recipe is 3-4 tablespoons of Armorall wash&wax, 1/8 teaspoon (or 9mm case full) of citric acid or Lemishine, I use HOT water. I also dissolve the citric acid in a cup before adding it to my brass. I get fantastic results with this recipe.

I use the large Frankford Arsenal tumbler with NO pins at all.

i wet tumble. No pins. Wont ever dry tumble again. Wet is THE way.
Pour some car wash( i don't measure. just pour) maybe a 9mm or 40cal worth of lemishine and let it go for an hour.

I use a dehydrator to dry mine but a baking sheet in the oven on "Keep warm" does the trick too

Back
Top Bottom