• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Necking-Down Procedure?

Junior_357

Default rank 5000+ posts
Former Disgruntled Architect
47   0
Reaction score
I have been reloading straight-walled handgun cartridges for a couple of years now, but am starting to reload for one of my rifles - a .25-06.

Since .30-06 is the parent cartridge, and much more widely available - what is the correct way to neck the cartridges down to fit the .257 bullets?

I know there is some trimming involved...but what's the best way to do the operation without destroying cases?

Thanks for your input!

Jr.

You've picked one that really requires little to no work. I've ran many an 06' through a 25-06 sizing die, trimmed and loaded. It's amazing just how pliable brass is. It's possible on some brass that it may require neck turning to thin it after such a drastic change. I recommend using 25-06 brass if possible, however I've not had any issues myself. Handloaders are notorious scroungers and I'm no exception. I recenty found a pile of 7-08 brass. I needed .308 brass. I ran it through the .308 sizer, trimmed and checked the shoulder dimensions, it was ready to load and shoot. I loaded 50 rounds of .308 using it today. Check your specs, make sure it chambers easily, and work up your loads. You should be fine.

Thanks, Chuckdog. I figured you would respond...and I appreciate it.

It's a given that once I have fired some factory rounds through the gun, I will be reusing that brass primarily. I was mainly thinking I would use this as a stop-gap measure until I get rolling in the .25-06 world.

We used to take .308 brass and run it through .243 dies all the time growing up. That and some trimming is usually all it takes. Just remember not to put too much grease on the casings, it can cause the case to crimp up. But you definitely need some; you don't want it sticking in the die.

Back
Top Bottom