• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info
150   0
Reaction score
After continuously drooling over it, and walking in and out of the pawn shop saying maybe next time, I bought a RPR gen 2 in 308. I see a lot of opinions on the gun but then again everyone's got something to say about something, good or bad, so I'll give it a shot. Weight doesn't bother me, I'm a big dude, I'll take a challenge. I casually go to the range, but with this I'd like to get more into more accurate longer range shooting. Around where I live the closest place I can probably get to is South River Gun club I think. Besides all that what do you guys think the best glass would be for the money. If it's a little expensive? Than okay I'll save up a little more and not compromise quality for money, just gotta keep patience. I've been looking at vortex and nightforce, but I've heard that for the money Burris and Leapold will be just as good of a buy. So everyone on the OTD, what's your opinion on the best glass? Help a young guy out lol

I'm a Nightforce fanboy and they make lots of great scopes, but look at the SHV versions. They are priced right around the same as a good Leupold and are better quality in my opinion.

I got bad news for you about South River. They permanently closed their rifle range about a year ago. After being a member there for about 12 to 15 years, I quit.

I'm a Nightforce fanboy and they make lots of great scopes, but look at the SHV versions. They are priced right around the same as a good Leupold and are better quality in my opinion.

I got bad news for you about South River. They permanently closed their rifle range about a year ago. After being a member there for about 12 to 15 years, I quit.

I was looking at just those, they seem like you can find them reasonably priced. Jeeze Thad unfortunate. I didn't know much about it but that kinda kills the mood haha, my buddy just moved into a neighborhood next to it and was telling me about it. Alabama would be about a two hour drive for me but I'll look into it, not a bad drive it sounds like.

I was looking at just those, they seem like you can find them reasonably priced. Jeeze Thad unfortunate. I didn't know much about it but that kinda kills the mood haha, my buddy just moved into a neighborhood next to it and was telling me about it. Alabama would be about a two hour drive for me but I'll look into it, not a bad drive it sounds like.
The drive is so worth it. It's the premier state of the art rifle range in the U.S. The ODT actually does a meet and great there about twice a year.

i've been looking into the Burris XTR II line of scopes for my next build. They seem to be pretty good for the $1200 range

What distance will you be realistically shooting at? I know my daughter Abi has enough glass to shoot at 1000 when she works out to that distance. Also, is this going to be for PRS, Benchrest, or just recreational shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is your budget? What's a little pricey to you will be different than other folks and vice versa. First or second focal plane? What's your intended use? PRS, benchrest, hunting, all of the above?

All FFP...

Under $1,000:
- Burris XTR 2 - 5-25
- Sig Tango 4 - 6-24
- Used Bushnell DMR or HDMR - 3.5-21 - I've seen em on Snipers Hide for $650 from time to time. Helluva scope at that price. I wouldn't sell mine for that.

Under $1,500:
- Nightforce SHF F1 (but you will be limiting your magnification as they are only up to 14x)
- Bushnell DMR II or HDMR II
- Vortex Razor HD Gen1

Vortex Razor Gen 2 could be had for around $2,200 used.
Kahles 624i for about $3,000
Vortex Razor AMG for about $2,500
Nightforce ATACr F1 for about $3,000
S&B PMII for about $3,600+ with a good reticle
Tangent Theta TT525 if you be ballin, about $4,500

As you can see, budget makes a difference. Tough to tell anyone the best glass without a budget in mind.

I'm not that big of a fan of the Vortex Viper PST's (Gen 1 or 2). For the same price, you could get any of the under $1,000 scopes and have better glass and coatings quality, and usually have some better features. I was on the PST bandwagon until I started looking through and using other scopes. Just my 2 cents though.

Pick the features you want, and try to meet those needs/wants within your budget. There are more options out there, but the above are pretty standard and well used.

Back
Top Bottom