• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best pellets

rhaney02

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
14   0
Reaction score
So.... My Recteq 590 arrived yesterday. I have some Traeger pellets from my old smoker for the burn in and initial seasoning, but would like opinions on the best brand pellets for actually cooking. What pellets produce the best results for smoking and grilling on the 590 with a clean burn and minimal ash? My smoking usually consists of Boston Butts, ribs, Beer butt chicken and the occasional chuck roast. Any input would be appreciated.

If you are near a Sam's Club then go grab some Smokehouse Competetion Blend pellets. 15.00 for 40lbs. Low ash and lots of smoke. If not head over to Tractor Supply and pickup some Pitboss Competition Blend, 15.00 for 40lbs.
Both are close. Do need to renew my Sam's membership though. Expired the first week of this month. Either one of the two you mentioned better than the other?

My treager stuff last longer, burn wise. I also like to toss some on my big green egg when I am using it.
Haven't been impressed by the Traeger pellets so far, never got decent flavor out of them in the hickory and a fair amount of ash. However, they may work better in the Recteq. The Traeger pellets are a little more expensive than the other brands already mentioned but may give an new bag another try since Ace stocks them and they are just right down the road from me.

Both are close. Do need to renew my Sam's membership though. Expired the first week of this month. Either one of the two you mentioned better than the other?
I'm on my first bag of pitboss so the jury is out. The Smokehouse ones have been fantastic though. I just got the pitboss because I was low and the tractor supply is 2 miles from my house.

I'm on my first bag of pitboss so the jury is out. The Smokehouse ones have been fantastic though. I just got the pitboss because I was low and the tractor supply is 2 miles from my house.
Gotcha. Will be renewing the Sam's membership before the weekend and checking them out. Do they have different wood/flavor varieties?

Back
Top Bottom