• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best pellets

Got the Pitboss Competition pellets for now. Also have a bag of the Recteq on the way that should arrive later in the week. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Obligatory pic of the 590 and the first cook of the recommended chicken thighs for initial seasoning.
20210828_200503.jpg
20210829_192825.jpg

Got the Pitboss Competition pellets for now. Also have a bag of the Recteq on the way that should arrive later in the week. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Obligatory pic of the 590 and the first cook of the recommended chicken thighs for initial seasoning.View attachment 3461655View attachment 3461672
How did you like the PitBoss pellets? Those are all I use. I’ve tried Traeger, but they leave way too much ash. I haven’t tried RecTeq pellets yet though.

How did you like the PitBoss pellets? Those are all I use. I’ve tried Traeger, but they leave way too much ash. I haven’t tried RecTeq pellets yet though.
PitBoss working great. 2/3 through the bag so far. The Recteq pellets are up next afterwards. Unless the Recteq pellets are markedly better, I'll be sticking with the PitBoss since they're half the price.

The PitBoss pellets seem bigger and I've heard can jam the auger unless you break them up. I've been using the Lumberjack brand before and will probably go back to them once this bag of pellets is used up.

The PitBoss pellets seem bigger and I've heard can jam the auger unless you break them up. I've been using the Lumberjack brand before and will probably go back to them once this bag of pellets is used up.
I'll try to get a comparison between the PitBoss, Traeger and Recteq pellets and post a pic later. So far, no problem with the PitBoss pellets. Almost run the hopper dry last cook and no problem so far.

Obligatory pic of the 590 and the first cook of the recommended chicken thighs for initial seasoning.View attachment 3461655View attachment 3461672
Next time start those skin side down. It will make the skin crispy.

Size comparison between Recteq, PitBoss, and Traeger. Tried to pick out the largest piece I could easily see from each bag.

From left to right:
Recteq, PitBoss, Traeger
20210909_180955.jpg

Back
Top Bottom