• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best powder for 40 cal.

I use Red Dot, Universal Clays, Accurate #5, 800x, and HS-6. Unique would also be good.

I used to use TiteGroup; it works, but you have to be careful. It is very easy to double charge the 40 or 45 with TiteGroup and not notice your mistake. That is why I use the powders that I listed. Red Dot is very good for lead, the others are good for FMJs.

I really enjoy Longshot and Power Pistol for high velocities and even accuracy if you find the right combo of bullet, col, and charge. As others have mentioned Unique is Great! Also you can't stuff enough NO.9 in a .40 (12.0gr @ 1.5") or 10 to blow anything up, but you can get some awesome velocities. 1,330 fps on 155 XTP's (an Underwood Load)

I just picked up some Bluedot mainly to load 10mm. Everyone claims that for the 10 a hefty charge of BD under a 180gr XTP results in 1" groups @ 25yd. A full charge in a .40 will only get you 1150ish under a 155 XTP.. but I bet its' accurate as well. I would say to use caution with Clays and Red Dot if loading near the top.. Not to say they aren't fit for the .40 but with such light charges vs. pressure curve there isn't much room for error in tenths of grains or cartridge length, ten thou and a tenth can get you 3k psi difference! I personally wouldn't consider Titegroup a fit unless in a pinch. American reloading got that MP35 (supposedly same as Red Dot) a week after I traded up for 16lbs of Red Dot.. A little will last you a long long time. Happy & Safe Reloading!

Longshot is great for top velocities. I have also used power pistol and blue dot with good results. Blue Dot seems to have a lot of muzzle flash and boom, power pistol isn't far behind. Longshot seems to have a duller yellow flash in low light. You don't have to load to max with it either.

Almost forgot, just started using CFE Pistol and it works quite well in the 40 also.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom