• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best press for a beginner?

If I were suggesting then I would say any single station or turret.
reason -If you are just getting into reloading then you don't even know if you want to really do it?
people see the benefits but not the behind the scenes of trying to locate primers/powders/ and the time spent preparing brass, scavaging brass, the other stuff besides the press that you need to buy.
start with a turret press and see how you like it.
Before starting to buy anything I always suggest that a newbie buy 1-2 manuals and read them, then try to hook up with a reloader and let them walk you through the process.
its not for everyone!

RCBS Rock Chucker for single stage, Dillon for progressive. Both will last several lifetimes.
I agree with that. Have an RCBS rock chucker and for me and the amount I shoot it works great. I like the fact that I have to do each process - feels safe to me. I take batches in bulk (1000) through the process 1 step at a time. I guess you have to decide what you will shoot - if lots of rounds of pistol then progressive. Also appreciate the comment about getting and reading reloading guides - can not over stress the importance of that, boring and very important. No matter what you use the knowledge there is the best base. Still read mine after many years, important discipline.
There are some awesome guys here to help - good luck

First are you planning to reload for years to come or just trying it to see if it is your cup of tea.

Reloading is a life time passion, not just a one time toy...

Buy "DILLON THEN IT'S ONCE AND DONE", a life time warranty....

RCBS Rock Chucker for single stage, Dillon for progressive. Both will last several lifetimes.
This is what I have done. The Rock Chucker will handle rifle and pistol. Over 35 years of heavy use and still in excellent shape. Dillon is great for volume ,has the great warranty but takes a little more to be proficient .
The RC is much better for a beginner ,very robust and you can load reasonably fast
when you learn and work out a system to do each step consistently.
You need to read and have a good reloading manual or several too.

What would be some good manuals to have? And i would like to reload from here on out. I plan on getting evolved with shooting matches and other things of that nature. I have watched videos about reloading, reloading supplies, etc. Just wanted to first hand knowledge about it and what would be a good beginner press but one that could take on more as i became more into it and doing more than 1 caliber.

I must be the only Hornady fan on here. I'm a big fan of their presses, both single stage and progressive/turret. Their ammo factory setup can really pump out some rounds.

For me the Hornady stuff wasn't that much better then any of the Lee stuff I purchased quality wise.. but you're in the Dillon cost catagory, and at that point I'd just buy a Dillon. Hornady is just a little too proud of their stuff.

My take would be to start with a turret style press.. Lee makes a kit that comes with everything you need to get started except dies, primers, cases, powder, bullets, a tumbler, and some media. I started with a single stage, but quickly found out I could have used a turret as a single stage to learn the process, and then used it almost like a progressive press. My only issue with the single stage was that I had to know how long I was going to be before I got tired (since I always load before bed to relax myself) because I couldn't stop with the single stage. I couldn't just leave cases with powder in them open, I had to finish all of them. With a turret you can load 1 bullet completely then start another rather then having to do the first stage of all your bullets, then the second of all your bullets, ect.

I have a progressive now but I wouldn't suggest you start with one. I've had mine dump a little extra powder, fail to feed primers properly, ect. You can see the powder in the case and you need to be able to notice small variances, and you can feel a primer feeding improperly in the handle and ramming it home can cause one to go off so you have to know how it feels seating them and how hard to push and when to back off.. These are all things much easier to learn when you are focused on one bullet and not 4 at a time.

This is the kit that I started with, and I still use it for loading precision loads for Rifle loads where I want MOA accuracy or better. I will even go as far as weighing projectiles and such for precision loading.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/42...pf_ci_google&gclid=CLrJxJ_hrsYCFVUlgQod_BUHVw

But this is the one that I would suggest, and I may eventually be swapping my Single for a Turret
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785993/lee-classic-4-hole-turret-press-deluxe-kit

However that powder thrower wont be good for rifle loads as it cant throw a big enough charge, so for loading rifle cartridges you may still need to buy another style powder thrower

Edited to add : The turret press also comes with the manual that I have. Its a good one

Last edited:
I always recommend the Lee Classic Cast Turret press for a beginner who wants to load more than one caliber. It's extremely well made, produces pistol ammo at a decent rate, and will turn out very good rifle ammo as well. Caliber and primer size changes take less than a minute, if you buy a spare turret (about $10) for each of your die sets.

It's by far the most popular and probably best press Lee has ever made. I've owned Forster, Hornady, CH, RCBS and other Lee presses over the years, and the Lee Classic Cast Turret remains my favorite.

media.midwayusa.com_productimages_880x660_Primary_814_814175.jpg

Don't confuse it with the older Lee 3 and 4 hole Turret presses. Those are ok, but they are nowhere near the same quality.

I am willing to show you some of what I have learned...I am not a professional by any means, and I don't play one on TV. If you want, I am in Braselton, which is not too far from you.

What would be some good manuals to have? And i would like to reload from here on out. I plan on getting evolved with shooting matches and other things of that nature. I have watched videos about reloading, reloading supplies, etc. Just wanted to first hand knowledge about it and what would be a good beginner press but one that could take on more as i became more into it and doing more than 1 caliber.

I use my Lee manual much more than the others
Lyman also has a good manual.
these manuals cover a wide array of different weights/ loads and projectile types.
The manufactures of projectiles ( Speer, Hornady, Barnes. ETC.) typically only have loadings for their projectiles and offer a very limited loading and choices.
OF course there are always the Powder manufactures web sites and they cover a bunch of loadings.
Now IF you are only going to use one manufactures projectiles then get their manual, I know very few IF any that do that however.

Back
Top Bottom