• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best recipe for tightening up my 30'06 groups in an autoloader.

Lumberman

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
I have a Benneli R1 in 30'06 that my wife gave me, that I love to tote into the deer woods, but it usually has one flier out of a 3 shot group. I have some Barnes TSX 168gr match grade bullets that I want to load to try and tighten them up with. Any suggestions with this being an autoloader with the full length barrel as to what primer and powder would be my best starting point. Recipies are appreciated.

I am certainly no expert but a "flyer" does not suggest to me that it is an ammo problem. Try shooting that 3 round group and let the barrel cool between each shot. I am not sure what you can do about bedding on the R1 but it may be the barrel heating up and moving on you.

I have tried numerous different commercial ammo in 150grn. Probably 7 or 8 different types with similar results. I have not done much outside of that bullet weight. Getting expensive buying all that ammo trying to find what it likes best.

Mostly been hunting with Winchester Supreme Gold 150grn.

Last edited:
http://www.preciseammunition.com/references.html

"SAMPLE LOADS

This is the least expensive way to find a good load for your rifle. While looking for a round that performs well in their rifle, it is common for people to purchase several different 20 round boxes of ammo to find a good load. However, it does not take 20 rounds to determine whether a specific type of ammo works. Often it only takes three rounds to decide that it’s not the one your rifle likes, and then what do you do with the other 17 rounds in the box? Shoot it up just for the heck of it, or let it sit around gathering dust. What a waste.
Another down side to this is that to get a truly accurate round you may have to compromise on bullet selection.
When you order a box of sample loads from us we send you four different loads in a single 20 round box of ammo. Five rounds of each load. In most cases five rounds are plenty to determine if one of the loads works well in your rifle. All of the rounds are loaded with the same bullet of your choice so there will be no compromise in terminal ballistics. Slight variations in powder charge, type of powder, choice of primer and bullet seating depth are what we vary to change the harmonic vibration of your barrel. This is one of the primary things that affects accuracy.
Consistent velocity is another aspect that affects accuracy. Slight changes in when the bullet leaves the barrel means that its flight is being affected by varying positions of the muzzle during vibration. It launches the bullet in different directions. NOT GOOD! Velocity variations will also affect long range accuracy by causing vertical stringing of your shots. We take great care to insure the least amount of variation in velocity by applying several techniques while loading, not the least of which is the fact that all powder charges are weighed. None of our ammo is loaded by measuring powder volume. Every round has a hand weighed powder charge in it. Once you have selected the best load from the samples, let us know which it is and you will be able to order the exact same load from then on. We keep all your data indefinitely."

http://www.preciseammunition.com/references.html

"SAMPLE LOADS

This is the least expensive way to find a good load for your rifle. While looking for a round that performs well in their rifle, it is common for people to purchase several different 20 round boxes of ammo to find a good load. However, it does not take 20 rounds to determine whether a specific type of ammo works. Often it only takes three rounds to decide that it’s not the one your rifle likes, and then what do you do with the other 17 rounds in the box? Shoot it up just for the heck of it, or let it sit around gathering dust. What a waste.
Another down side to this is that to get a truly accurate round you may have to compromise on bullet selection.
When you order a box of sample loads from us we send you four different loads in a single 20 round box of ammo. Five rounds of each load. In most cases five rounds are plenty to determine if one of the loads works well in your rifle. All of the rounds are loaded with the same bullet of your choice so there will be no compromise in terminal ballistics. Slight variations in powder charge, type of powder, choice of primer and bullet seating depth are what we vary to change the harmonic vibration of your barrel. This is one of the primary things that affects accuracy.
Consistent velocity is another aspect that affects accuracy. Slight changes in when the bullet leaves the barrel means that its flight is being affected by varying positions of the muzzle during vibration. It launches the bullet in different directions. NOT GOOD! Velocity variations will also affect long range accuracy by causing vertical stringing of your shots. We take great care to insure the least amount of variation in velocity by applying several techniques while loading, not the least of which is the fact that all powder charges are weighed. None of our ammo is loaded by measuring powder volume. Every round has a hand weighed powder charge in it. Once you have selected the best load from the samples, let us know which it is and you will be able to order the exact same load from then on. We keep all your data indefinitely."

Bear is on point; one can really dive into the minute details of accuracy in order to achieve that 1/2" or less MOA. Selecting brass that has been weighed, flash holes uniformly drilled out, lengths cut to uniform standards, match grade primers, powder charges individually weighed, match grade bullets, bench rest dies and OAL adjusted to just kiss the rifling, but where are most ammo accuracy gains obtained? I think first a good quality bullet, uniform brass, decent uniform powder charges and a good crimp. Following Bear's advice I load 5 rounds and adjust only the powder charge in 1/2 grain increments, I may only fire three round groups. As I move across box of ammo, I often see that the groups tighten up then begin to open up as a bullet tends to prefer a specific rifle twist rate and velocity in a given rifle. Once I picked the best of that lot, I may try different bullets/weights of bullets and repeat the process of testing.

It's a good idea to clean the barrel while doing this as a fouled barrel will quickly make great ammo wander around on target. As far as how often, depends on the round used mostly.

Being able to purchase sample loads is a great way to purchase ammo and find a diet that your rifle prefers. Which is a great way to cheaply find that right round if you don’t roll your own?

Last edited:
I would've tried different weights instead different brands of one weight. Your rifle might not do well with 150s. 4350 is the classic choice for an /06. Federal primers if you can find them.

I'm not sure about your bullet choice but I would check with Barnes. Manufacturers usually have some pretty good data for their products. The techs at Sierra are also very helpful with data ( 1-800-223-8799).
I'm unsure of the bearing surface etc on the Barnes but if you wanna try a 165 gr Sierra game king or a 165-1688 Nosler Ballistic tip or accubond try it by working up to 57gr of IMR 4350 with a CCI br2 or a Fed 210m primer. This load shoots bugholes out of several of my -06s. It's close to a maximum book listing so working up to it is strongly advised.

If its a hunting rifle why worry about groups? If the first shot goes where the cross hairs are, why do you need to shoot 3 more at the deer?

On a deer gun if you can put all rounds fired into a pie plate at 100yards, offhand, you will put meat in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom