• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Ride on Lawn Mower

I have a Toro Timecutter with their 22.5house brand engine. Had it for 4 years now and cut an acre of grass about twice a week. No issues so far, spent around 2300 I believe from a toro dealer. Financed it through my credit union and paid it off in a year. I change the oil at the end of the season and change the blades. Still has the original belt, but will probably change that at the end of this season as well. They are good machines, even the homeowner grade ones like mine with the stamped deck.

I have an Ariens Zoom 54XL zero turn for cutting roughly 1.5 acres of grass. Fairly rugged "pro-sumer" machine with a welded deck and upgraded transmissions. But it was $3K about six years ago; similar mowers today are $4K to $5K. No question a zero turn cuts acreage faster than a traditional ride on, or a larger tractor equipped with a mid-mount deck or category 1 type mower deck: Also have a 4' brush cutter for my tractor. For most grass, except pastures, cutting with the tractor takes more effort and is more time consuming.

ReganR6, with that much grass, you will probably wear out a typical, consumer grade ride-on every four or five years. And that's okay, as long as it does a decent job for you; you can extend the life with good maintenance practices. You might consider getting a used machine, work it hard for a couple of years, while setting aside some savings for a higher end machine.

A lot comes down to how much time you are willing to spend mowing. Machines that work faster (zero turns) are more costly. Machines that are near-lifetime purchase machines (commercial/servicable) are very costly. If you like to mow the lawn, get the best ride-on lawn tractor you can, a good set of noise cancelling muffs, and do your best Forrest Gump impersonation.

My moms neighbor ran a part time lawn service with a lot of yards before he moved.

He uses Gravely mowers and something he called a " floating seat ? ". Basically the seat is free floating and it suspends so when you go over bumps and rough terrain you don't feel anything. Said he can cut grass all day and never feel worn out.

I have a residential grade Hustler zero turn radius mower. I think it cost $2700 a few years ago. I like it, but be warned that if you actually use the tight turning ability you will tear up your grass!
And I also have a complaint that it does not have a high enough top speed when you're not cutting very tall grass and there's no need to worry about the motor bogging down I'd like it to go twice as fast as it's current top speed.

One thing that I don't like about all riding zero turn radius mowers I've ever used is that it takes two hands to steer them which does not leave one hand free to raise or lower the cutting deck changing the height of your blades if you are on a hill or uneven ground when you take one hand off to change the cutting height you will swerve out of your lane.

A conventional riding lawnmower with a steering wheel doesn't have this problem you can easily steer it one-handed while using the other hand to change the cutting deck height. My conventional riding lawnmower also had 2 forward gears and the high gear was plenty fast --but you couldn't use it if you wanted to make a heavy cut through tall grass, and you couldn't use high gear for going up any sort of hill.
My commercial Hustler has a foot pedal to raise and lower the deck for terrain, and if you practice you can make tight turns without rutting the yard

I have a 2004 Craftsman lawn tractor with a Briggs & Stratton V-twin. It's not pretty any more, but it's a workhorse. I only have about 1/2 acre, but man that thing never quits. Yes, I've had to do some repairs but they've been minimal except for the ones required because I abused it.

My neighbor has gone through three more expensive John Deere tractors. My Father in Law had a JD mower that was nothing but trouble. The Russians just stole a bunch of Ukranian JD farm tractors at great cost, and learned that JD shut them off remotely making them useless (sorry, had to throw that in).

I have had a 52" Hustler Raptor zero turn for 3 years (orchard had originaly being planted for a 48" mower, so 52" is the max I can use). Cut 5+acres, hills and flat. Some should be bush hogged, but mine is a walk behind bush hogger.
Mower has a Kawasaki engine, welded deck. Put synthetic 10w-30 at the beginning of every season, along with air, fuel and breather filters. Replaced 1 deck belt.

Would buy again.

PS Bad Dog mowers from Tractor Supply are the same thing, but come with a longer warranty.

Do you have any suggestions? I am not really in the position to drop $10k plus at the moment on one....maybe in a few years ,but not right now.
Stay with the big four, Massey Ferguson, John Deer, Kubota or New Holland. Not any particular order. Get 4x4, it'll pull and drive better. You might be able to find a barely used one, @ 600hrs or less. You know everything is up in price right now. Thing is you need decent equipment if you want it to give you good service. You buy something cheap, you'll regret it and will cost you more money in the long run.

^^^What basstracker89 said. I got a new JD2305 with a 62" mid mount mower in 2009. It replaced a 18hp, 48" cut Craftsman that was still working good. I went from 3 solid days of cutting with the Craftsman, to 3 hours with the John Deere! I cut serious acreage nearly every Saturday. Best decision I've ever made. It cost me around 12K with the extra attachments I got with it. Interest free financing with decent payment amount made it a no brainer decision. Normal regular maintenance and the JD is still going strong. At the rate I use it, it'll probably outlast me and get handed down to my son.

Back
Top Bottom