• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Rifle Caliber For My Needs

I have to say, based on yalls commwnts the .308 would still be my first choice.
7mm-08
6.5CM
All are close rivals but the .308 has cheaper practice ammo and just has a wider selection. As I am likely going to be buying a used gun, I am fine with any of these for the right price but I think the .308 will be easier to find. What do yall think of the Mossberg Patriot for a new rifle though?

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk

I have to say, based on yalls commwnts the .308 would still be my first choice.
7mm-08
6.5CM
All are close rivals but the .308 has cheaper practice ammo and just has a wider selection. As I am likely going to be buying a used gun, I am fine with any of these for the right price but I think the .308 will be easier to find. What do yall think of the Mossberg Patriot for a new rifle though?

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
Depends on what you want in accuracy. I don't know about the Mossberg, but the tried and true for serious accuracy are the Remington 700 and Savage.

Radar363, what do you consider "long range" for deer hunting in GA?

Of course your .300 Blackout isn't a good choice for long range work. Even with supersonic bullets (110 gr. at initial velocity of 2200 at the muzzle). It'll be only hitting with 450 foot/pounds at 300 yards. The velocity will be down to 1400 fps.

The 6.8 SPC that you are considering should give you nearly 1900 f.p.s. velocity and 875 foot-pounds AT 300 YARDS.
Most people consider 300 yards "long range" for hunting with an AR, even if it's not long range if you're ringing steel plates with a bolt action tactical rifle.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/6.8mm-spc-110-gr-v-max-black#!/

Your 77-grain loads in the .223 Rem. / 5.56 mm should be in the same ballpark as the 6.8 SPC at yards:
about 1950-2100 f.p.s. at that distance, and between 650 and 750 foot/lbs. energy, depending on the exact load.
http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/

So what does the .224 Valkyrie do at 300 yards?

From what I can glean from this graph, the .224 Val with a 77-grain bullet still has 2000 fps at 300 yards,
and it hits with about 700 foot/pounds energy.

https://www.range365.com/224-valkyrie#page-4

So.... not enough of a difference to get a new upper and have to stock a new supply of ammo.

Only if you are a really good shot AND you want to shoot to 1000 yards and beyond would I consider the .224 Val. Not for hunting deer in GA.
Not even for that 350 yard shot across the soybean field, or the power line clearing.

******** EDITED at 9:50 a.m. **********

6.8 for the win!

Where are you poeople getting an opportunity for a 300 yard shot? Not in my neck of the woods.

6.8 for the win!

Where are you poeople getting an opportunity for a 300 yard shot? Not in my neck of the woods.
There's more opportunity that you might think. Especially in the late season. I'll be hunting a spot next year that offers a 600 yard plus opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom