• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best rifle to suppress??

I have a gasser that i built with noveske parts. Run a saker on it. No issues. 300bo subsonic is quiet but the expense makes it almost prohibitive unless you're loaded. Any quality semi auto will run fine suppressed. Like someone up above said, piston guns are a little louder because of more moving parts.

I forgot about the handi-rifle but I'm moreso interested in something at least bolt action.

How is the SCAR suppressed? I dont know if the 7.62x51 suppresses well but at least the side charging handle and piston should help with the gas.

I roll my own sub ammo for my Scar 17 using a AAC 762 SDN. Bolt weight is about 2 1/2 lbs and it has a factory adjustable gas system. I enjoy shooting it, but it is far from Hollywood quite.

For quiet, you can't beat a 22LR bolt action. For semi-auto - the smaller the caliber, the quieter it will be.

I have a 300BO upper and a 22LR upper, both are built by Tactical Solutions specifically for those calibers. They run flawlessly, but because of the action noise, they sound like a nail gun.

What caliber?
I guess it depends on what your application will be, just a fun plinker, a hunting gun or other special application. Also, if stocking another caliber is going to be a concern and/or if you reload.

I've suppressed a blowback AR9 SBR, a DI AR45 SBR, an 1895 lever gun (.45-70) a Ruger M77MkII in .308 and most recently a 10/22.
I use 124gr or heavier commercial ammo in the AR9, whatever .45ACP I have in the AR45, handload 405gr subs for the 1895, and handload .308 subs for the Ruger. They're all equally fun to shoot in their own way. I'm looking at getting a Rossi M92 in .45LC threaded as well... that will be shooting heavy subs as well. (most commercial .45 LC is subsonic, and can be reloaded more cost effectively)

As discussed above, you've got several things to think about when suppressing, the muzzle blast, the bullet crack, and the action noise. With the bolt & lever gun, your action noise is going to be nothing until you manually cycle the bolt. And with .45ACP, .45LC and 9mm, subsonic factory loads are readily available. Same applies wtih the .22LR, and the 10/22 has aftermarket support like no other to get quieter action parts like a bolt buffer or polished recoil rod.

A few people do, I had to get a barrel and convert an old 8mm Mauser.

Richard at SIA was converting Enfields to .45ACP, unfortunately he has stopped doing the conversions to focus on other interesting projects, like the Novem 9mm which takes a RIA .22TCM bolt gun and rebarrels it for 9mm (unfortunate that he stopped the Enfield projects, his other projects are very cool too)
http://www.specialinterestarms.com/index.php?page=novem

http://www.specialinterestarms.com/

Out of the box? Not much that I know of... Piston ARs are probably the most ideal since you can adjust the gas. There are far better options if you build one yourself though, which I just did with some help from mtdawg169 mtdawg169 and @Wallace's and a few others on another website. It has a reduced gas port barrel as to combat the increase in gas from the can. Mtdawg runs the same barrel but with an enhanced carrier to increase dwell time even further. I havent forked up the dough for that yet but would like one soon. So far it runs great with 223 and 556 canned and not canned... No gas or anything in my face, strong and consistent ejection pattern, no crazy carrier speeds/noise, and runs like a top so Im happy.

123123.jpg

Out of the box? Not much that I know of... Piston ARs are probably the most ideal since you can adjust the gas. There are far better options if you build one yourself though, which I just did with some help from mtdawg169 mtdawg169 and @Wallace's and a few others on another website. It has a reduced gas port barrel as to combat the increase in gas from the can. Mtdawg runs the same barrel but with an enhanced carrier to increase dwell time even further. I havent forked up the dough for that yet but would like one soon. So far it runs great with 223 and 556 canned and not canned... No gas or anything in my face, strong and consistent ejection pattern, no crazy carrier speeds/noise, and runs like a top so Im happy.

View attachment 1177179
Bingo. AR's suppress great, if the barrel is made by someone with half a brain and the gas port isn't hogged out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

30-30 lever gun is very quiet with subs. The drawback is twist limits subs to about 175 gr max.

Still has more power than 357 magnum.

Any blow back or gas run semi is going to be louder. Hell even roller lock rifles are loud. SCARs are loud. Your best option is a properly tuned AR with a slightly long barrel. My 18" AR is great and not gassy. Unfortunately right now there are no real great quiet options in semi auto 556 <16" barrel. Unless you want to pony up for a Dakota Tactical built HK clone.
I have an old ACR that I chopped the barrel on to 11.5" (small gas port). It is ok, but the gas port is so small it barely runs without a can, even with the adjustable gas system.
I also have a DD Ambush 6.8 that I cut to 13" (again small gas port). It is the quietest <16" semi gun I have that shoots supers. Gas is very minimal too. That would probably be my recommendation, but again you have expensive ammo to deal with. I love it though. I hunt deer and hogs with it, and have a dope card on it out to 650 yds. Pretty impressive for a 13" barrel.

Back
Top Bottom