• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Self Defense Ammo for Subcompact .380

If good self-defense .380 ammo costs $1.25 per shot, with tax and/or shipping,
let me ask y'all this:
How many rounds of that specific ammo (not just brand, but the exact load, bullet type and weight, etc.) would you want to shoot through your compact .380 pistol at the range before you trust your life with it to feed, extract, and eject reliably?

Historically, the consensus has been to shoot at least 200 rounds of your carry ammo before actually carrying it on the street. But if I did that, I would have spent more for this one lot of ammo to burn up in testing and practice THAN I SPENT FOR THE HANDGUN ITSELF. (I carry a P3AT).

The cost of several boxes of good HP rounds was a factor in my choice to carry 100 gr. FMJ ammo in my pistol. I got a case of that stuff a couple years ago for only 25 cents per round.
For me.... it's at least 250 rds of the exact brand/grain/projectile type.....with ZERO ammo related failures.

Precision One 380 is widely considered to be good ammo on YouTube gel tests, and product reviews..... it is the ONLY ammo my G42 has ever choked on. Too many stovepipes, and fail to extract properly in the first 100rds due to OBVIOUSLY under powered charges. Not all were that way, but the consistency was all over the place for me in the batch I tried. This eliminated the remainder of the order from use anywhere except the range.

For the record..... alot of things go into my choice of carry ammo, but cost per round is not one of them. I'm FAR from being rich, but I'm far from being so cheap that I won't fill my carry gun with what I feel is the best option.

You one of them ol' boys that use auto zone brake pads and chinese tires on your truck too?

Back
Top Bottom