• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best snake boots for turkey hunting?

Gokeys...
Gokey.jpg

Let him live. I think I scared him more than he scared me. He kept his head up under his body for about an hour and didn’t move.
damn that. He would've either got stovewood fever or a tss headache. That's about the only thing I'm scared of in the woods. Being alone and getting bite by a rattlesnake.

All rattlesnakes die at my place, if I can find something to kill it with. Once saw a five footer while riding in the golf cart. My wife freaked out when I jumped out with the machete, thinking I was going to cut its head off. Quickly cut down a small tree and made a 10 foot spear. Dead snake......McGuyver of Hancock County.

Irish setters are trash. Comfortable, but they will not hold up. Mine were only waterproof for about 6 months. All of the cloth/leather boots with multiple complex stitched seams are built to fail. The simpler the design the longer it will last. Fewer seams are fewer points to fail. If you want the most miles for your money get rubber snake boots, lacross arrowheads are great. Muck makes a snake boot too I think.

Or, get some Turtleskin snake gaitors and wear them with whatever boot you want.

Irish setters are trash. Comfortable, but they will not hold up. Mine were only waterproof for about 6 months. All of the cloth/leather boots with multiple complex stitched seams are built to fail. The simpler the design the longer it will last. Fewer seams are fewer points to fail. If you want the most miles for your money get rubber snake boots, lacross arrowheads are great. Muck makes a snake boot too I think.

Or, get some Turtleskin snake gaitors and wear them with whatever boot you want.

I agree with you in the seams failing and making the boots not waterproof. I’m digging the danner vitals for now . I have about 5 miles on them and they are water proof so far. I had the lacross arrowheads and they didn’t make it through last years season before the liner on the inside completely failed. I do have gaitors but I’ve seen two venomous snake bites at my job and both were on the tagged on foot after stepping on a copperhead in the dark. Neither person had on leather boots so Idk if boots would have prevented a bite or not. Lol I’m not taking that chance. A pair of snake boots is way less expensive than vials of CroFab you’ll receive at the ER.

I agree with you in the seams failing and making the boots not waterproof. I’m digging the danner vitals for now . I have about 5 miles on them and they are water proof so far. I had the lacross arrowheads and they didn’t make it through last years season before the liner on the inside completely failed. I do have gaitors but I’ve seen two venomous snake bites at my job and both were on the tagged on foot after stepping on a copperhead in the dark. Neither person had on leather boots so Idk if boots would have prevented a bite or not. Lol I’m not taking that chance. A pair of snake boots is way less expensive than vials of CroFab you’ll receive at the ER.
for what its worth I had a pair of lacrosse boots that didn't make a season, I bought a pair of the $120 redhead boots and have been pleasantly surprised by them, they're waterproof enough, I have probably around 80-90 miles on them by now. I've walked 10 miles in a day wearing them and didn't have any complaint other than sweaty feet when I took them off.

I’m only 30 or so miles into my Lacrosse boots, we will see how they hold up. I just got them before turkey season. Maybe the Danners will be good. My brother has been lucky so far with a pair of the Danner leather waterproof snake boots. I think he is going on a year with no leaks. He puts serious miles on his boots like I do, and is almost always in water.

Back
Top Bottom