• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Better quality gas tube ?

republican

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
32   0
Reaction score
I recently performed my first hand guard swap out and discovered a couple of things that seem like pretty obvious weaknesses in the AR platform.
First , the set screws in the low profile gas block were so small that you had to use a pine needle sized key to tighten them and the gas tube appears to just have a little plug crimped into the end in order to seal it at the gas block.
I drilled and tapped the block to 1/4-28 and replaced the tiny set screws with grade 8 hex cap screws , cranked them down with a wrench and cut them off flush with the block. Gas block problem solved.
Does anyone here know of an upgrade to the standard gas tube ? Or are they all the same and you just pay more for the name on the bag ?

I drilled and tapped the block to 1/4-28 and replaced the tiny set screws with grade 8 hex cap screws , cranked them down with a wrench and cut them off flush with the block. Gas block problem solved.

IMG_1219.JPG

That's not weaknesses in the AR platform. It may be a weakness in your AR.

I go cheap on certain things when building a gun, but the gas block is not one of them. Your barrel should be dimpled, do it yourself if not. The set screws should be knurled to give it extra bite.

The difference between a no name gas tube and one from BCM or another quality vendor is 5 bucks. I normally buy it along with the gas block. I'd have to see pictures of what you have to see if it's normal.

Who made your rifle?

It's definatly a cheap rifle . Diamond back DB-15 . Paid $350 at wal mart when they were getting out of it. Already had a canted block and needed straightening .I guess I forgot to mention that I had to drill out the original set screws so there was that. Anyway I'm not worried about gas block being married to the barrel I just had never looked that closely at a gas tube and was wondering if they are all the same.

Back
Top Bottom