• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beware Dead Air Odessa 9

Linachaw

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Milsurp Collector
99   0
Reaction score
I took my newly acquired dead air odessa 9 suppressor to the range for the first time today. The host was my M9A3. In under 10 shots, something didn't feel right and I knew it. I looked at the piston and it was protruding more than it should have been, so I quit shooting it until I could take it home and disassemble it. I thought I might have assembled it incorrectly. Well I did have it assembled correctly. The problem was the POS piston cracked. Not cracked in one place, cracked everywhere BUT one place, around the entire diameter of the piston where the ventilation holes are. What a joke. A butload of money and 260 day wait for a poor quality, out of spec piston that is needed to use the suppressor. This was not caused by a baffle strike, goofy ammo, or user error. Hopefully Dead Air gets back with me quickly and sends me a new one like they have done with everyone else who has had this issue.
See the attached pic

Attachments

• 20220518_195314.jpg
    20220518_195314.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 20220518_195248.jpg
    20220518_195248.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 172
Doesn’t even make sense why those holes are there? Like what function do they serve other than weight reduction?

They will take care of you. Top notch CS. That said, feel like I've seen a bunch of issues with air cans since they were bought by KGM. Not sure whether that's due to how many more cans they make under KGM vs BPI, or QA problems. They produced far fewer cans under BPI.

Nice. I have one in jail since last May. I'll have to keep a close eye on the piston. I have been shopping for the fixed mount or fixed barrel spacer so I can use it on my PCC's. They have been out of stock forever. Those seem like they would be pretty easy to make and keep in stock.

Doesn’t even make sense why those holes are there? Like what function do they serve other than weight reduction?

I'm guessing, but they open up to the chamber where the piston lives and creates more volume in the can. The sound difference is probably negligible, but when the industry is chasing decibels for marketing, everything helps.

Those holes are way too close for something I would create knowing the forces it would have on it, but maybe they had to match volume to the silencerco/rugged pistons, and trying not to be the same. Dead Air/Rugged were created from former Silencerco employees, hence why the pistons are so similar.

Back
Top Bottom