• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beware the gas pump—Updated post #8

some of us dont want a credit card and I can move funds around at no charge to keep the debit card amount very low as far as a balance.

Still seems like risk with no reward.

I can understand an aversion to credit cards for people who aren’t good at keep track of their spending, but if you are moving money in and out of accounts, you are already doing all the work.

I too keep very little money in the account my debit card is linked too. Have a second account for paying bills from that also has the bare minimum, and a third account with zero balance strictly for deposits (checks, PayPal, Venmo, payroll, etc).

My goal is to shield our actual money from any and all outside risks.

The account we actually keep money in has no debit card, atm card, checks, deposits, etc. All money in and out of that account is strictly made from an internal bank transfer. It took me forever to save up 74 dollars and dang it, I aim to protect it.

I just always use a credit card for the points and for the extra protections. The hold charges never been an issue for me with this approach.

Also zero chance of an over draft just have to keep it below your max credit ceiling.

Why are you using a debit card? I understand that some people don’t have the credit to get a credit card, but they should especially not be using a debit card since they more than likely don’t have a backup source of funding.

A debit card gives whoever your are paying, plus scammers, access to the money you live on.

I personally pay for everything with a credit card, even my bills. If there is a mistake, or a scam, it’s not my money at risk. Clone it, overcharge it, whatever, I don’t care since it’s not my money.

Plus with a credit card you can get cash back, miles, points, etc.

I use an Amazon prime card and I get so many points, I haven’t spent a penny on an Amazon purchase in years.

I have a debit card strictly for ATMs, but even it’s disabled, and if I want to use it I have to enable it in the banks app. If I could get a regular atm card from my bank I wouldn’t have a debit card at all.

Paying for anything with a debit card is soooo risky, I don’t understand why anyone would use one.
I use my debit card for everything. I’ve never had a problem. I’ve never had a hold put on it for gas. Must be the bank you folks are using.

You can walk in and tell them how much to put on a pump if you can't do the holds. I do that at truck stops when using the tractor diesel lines. They preauth 250-300+ and I never need that much in my 2500. Some cards have also just thrown up because it is/was abnormal behavior.

I don't even have a debit card. Misplaced mine years ago and never bothered to replace it. Just credit cards in my wallet, and cash.

Back
Top Bottom