• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Beware the gas pump—Updated post #8

I have a family member who has good credit, little to no debt, and refused to stop using his debit card even after having his checking account cleaned out more than once.

One time he was on a missions trip in eastern Europe and the travel agent he used wiped out his checking account. My wife and I had to support his spouse back home until he returned to the states and he had to borrow money from others on the trip. Once home, it took almost two weeks to get things cleared up, and he had a pile of late fees and overdraft fees on top of everything else that I don’t believe he ever got back.

Still to this day he refuses to stop using his debt card.

Stubborn to the core for no reason.

I don’t get it.
I used to not care because there wasn't any money in the bank anyway :lol:

Once you put a little money in there it's like hold the ****ing phone, I ain't swiping something that gives any scammer access to my hard earned money.

Then once I got a card and started getting 5% back on Walmart and Amazon purchases and 1.5 on pretty much everything else I felt like an idiot for not doing it 10 years ago.

I used to not care because there wasn't any money in the bank anyway :lol:

Once you put a little money in there it's like hold the ****ing phone, I ain't swiping something that gives any scammer access to my hard earned money.

Then once I got a card and started getting 5% back on Walmart and Amazon purchases and 1.5 on pretty much everything else I felt like an idiot for not doing it 10 years ago.
Yep, as I said I haven’t paid a penny for an Amazon purchases several years.

I pay two bills each month, my mortgage and my credit card. If my mortgage company would let me pay them with a credit card I’d only pay one bill each month. I even paid my taxes with that credit card.

We have a Lowes card because we got 0% financing on our washer/dryer/and dishwasher. Thats all set to pay off before the term is up.

I just opened a Wells Fargo Autograph card because it had 0% for 12 months with a 300 bonus. I was planning a trip anyway next year so everything will go on that and I'll pay it off while getting 3% back on all the trip items.

We have the Amazon card because holy crap we buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, pay it off each month.

Another Chase card because it would hurt our credit to close it. Along with a Discover card for emergencies (they have really good customer service; live agent who speaks English in seconds).

We don't pay any interest and everything has a plan to pay off at the end of the month.

Former debit card banker guy here. The gas brand controls the authorization/hold on funds amount. Some companies use $100, some use 75, a and some use $1.00. BP uses the $1 the most. So try BP if you are low on funds.

I pile up tens (100s?) of 1000s of Amex points annually. They transfer to delta skymiles, which means I rarely pay for airfare. Europe, Caribbean, I just use Skymiles.

Used the wife’s credit card points today to get 50 cents off per gallon. Thought that was great ‘til I saw another receipt lying there where someone got $1.00 per off.

Back
Top Bottom