• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Biden admin press release on firearm suicide prevention

Securing firearms have nothing to do with veteran suicides...we aren't talking about a teenager coming across a firearm and killing themselves, we are literally talking about combat veterans that own the firearms, The firearms have nothing more to do with veteran suicide than forks with obesity.

As posted above, this is literally a conduit to push red flag laws and get the bills passed, and you fell for it. Many others will fall for the...we are here to help and this doesn't sound so bad.

You want to show me you are serious about veteran suicides...stop talking about the guns...and start talking about funding programs that don't promote filling people up with anti depressants and drugs that (wait for it) have side effects that cause suicidal thoughts, make an investment in real doctors, that care about what they are doing and don't just treat veterans like a number. There are many others but that is just a start.

Instead....lets have a little study about firearms and suicide...of course firearms are used in a lot of suicides, its efficient and usually works....if there were no firearms it would be something else.

Stop treating an inanimate object and using it to further an agenda, and actually look at the human beings behind the pain causing the issue in the first place.

But if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to think this is something more than it really is...go for it...

Sorry, but a veteran suicide is no more or less tragic than suicide by a teen, or a depressed, out of work accountant.

To restate: I have no problem with publicly funded, public relations campaigns at key contact points, e.g., gun dealers including a safe gun storage pamphlet with a gun sale. There are a lot of new gun owners out there who aren't used to thinking through the implications of ready access to a loaded gun, and may not know what options they have for securing their weapons.

Yes, there are other, legal initiatives I am not in favor of, specifically trying to curtail due process.

I'm not going to knee-jerk reject the good with the bad. I prefer to separate the issues and accept or fight them on the merits of each. Hard to live in a society with people of differing views if you are unwilling to see anything other than red flags every time they open their mouths.

Oh please! This isn't your friendly, concerned government neighbor wanting the best for you. The VERY LAST line in the OP link. The President continues to urge Congress to pass an appropriate national “red flag” law, as well as legislation incentivizing states to pass their own versions of these laws.

What does that mean? It means extra-legal (i.e., outside the current law) means of confiscating weapons from legal owners because some gooder feels threatened. Stop trying to put the "concerned, helpful friend" tag on this.

Oh please! This isn't your friendly, concerned government neighbor wanting the best for you. The VERY LAST line in the OP link. The President continues to urge Congress to pass an appropriate national “red flag” law, as well as legislation incentivizing states to pass their own versions of these laws.

What does that mean? It means extra-legal (i.e., outside the current law) means of confiscating weapons from legal owners because some gooder feels threatened. Stop trying to put the "concerned, helpful friend" tag on this.

Your quote emphasizes my point. The feds doing those things without the approval of the legislature would be a problem. Advocating for those changes via the legislature is our political system at work. I don't agree with their agenda and don't expect the legislature to pass it, and I make my feelings known to my representatives in the legislature.

The opposition's advocacy for some things doesn't mean every single utterance that comes from them is wrong. That attitude is the flip side of "Orange Man Bad." Unhelpful in governing a country with diverse views.

Sorry, but a veteran suicide is no more or less tragic than suicide by a teen, or a depressed, out of work accountant.

To restate: I have no problem with publicly funded, public relations campaigns at key contact points, e.g., gun dealers including a safe gun storage pamphlet with a gun sale. There are a lot of new gun owners out there who aren't used to thinking through the implications of ready access to a loaded gun, and may not know what options they have for securing their weapons.

Yes, there are other, legal initiatives I am not in favor of, specifically trying to curtail due process.

I'm not going to knee-jerk reject the good with the bad. I prefer to separate the issues and accept or fight them on the merits of each. Hard to live in a society with people of differing views if you are unwilling to see anything other than red flags every time they open their mouths.

I do have a problem with allocating millions of tax payers dollars to make me hand out useless pamphlets.

Your quote emphasizes my point. The feds doing those things without the approval of the legislature would be a problem. Advocating for those changes via the legislature is our political system at work. I don't agree with their agenda and don't expect the legislature to pass it, and I make my feelings known to my representatives in the legislature.

The opposition's advocacy for some things doesn't mean every single utterance that comes from them is wrong. That attitude is the flip side of "Orange Man Bad." Unhelpful in governing a country with diverse views.
Your trust that they wouldn't do things outside of the law is amusing. We've seen countless times where leftist administration's ATF proposes new rules changes using antiquated 1934 or later laws as a basis (to which you'd have to mount a very expensive counter suit against) to change how they operate. This completely bypasses federal statute in giving Congress an opportunity to weigh in and presents a near-insurmountable legal obstacle for those against their changes. It's nothing but fascism, period. Trust them and you will be wondering where your guns went when that old biddy next door drops a dime on you...

I do have a problem with allocating millions of tax payers dollars to make me hand out useless pamphlets.

You're barking up the wrong money tree. I wish they'd stick to public service pamphlets, because it's peanuts, in the grand scheme of things. And they don't cost millions. They cost thousands.

Procurring an F-35 costs $100 million, and costs $36,000 per hour to operate.

You're barking up the wrong money tree. I wish they'd stick to public service pamphlets, because it's peanuts, in the grand scheme of things. And they don't cost millions. They cost thousands.

Procurring an F-35 costs $100 million, and costs $36,000 per hour to operate.
One peanut among 1.9 Trillion other nonsense politically motivated rights-grabbing proposals... Ask that ground pounder out there calling in for an air strike whether he thinks that $36K/hr cost is too much... sheesh...

I rarely disagree with you, but I do here.
This is a small but crucial step to promote a false ideal. That idea is that without fire arms this wouldn't happen.
People are sheep and when a lie, no matter how well meaning, is repeated enough it becomes reality to most folks. (Read Sheep)
I would appose this just in the fact that its promotes a false narrative.

Back
Top Bottom