• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Biden admin press release on firearm suicide prevention

True or false: Firearms make attempts at suicide more lethal?

It's a rhetorical question. Of course they do. Just as if you happen to live near the Golden Gate Bridge and you're suicidal, you have another very lethal means at your disposal.

If someone wants to take their own life, I regard that as a personal choice, and not a matter for government intervention. But I am sympathetic to the idea that, as a society, we shouldn't back away from getting people help and detering them from an impulse suicide decision. Education efforts in that regard, to me, are worthwhile. Mental health / support networks are worthwhile.

I'm not advocating for red flag laws. I'm simply pointing out the Nov 2. memo from the Whitehouse advocates no overrearch of their powers. I'm not saying they can be trusted not to go further. I'm sure they will. That battle should be fought as needed.

We have to be able to have conversations. If your attitude is "They can't say anything, because we know what their agenda is," then you missed your calling as a censor.
No firearms do not make it any more or less lethal it makes it in some cases more convenient, second Only to the bottle of pills that is the most convenient . There is nothing more final than lethal, it doesn’t matter the tool used.
Ives worked and investigated many, many suicides. Being most were in Jackson County Georgia there was always a gun around, but it was last choice, unless you were trying to make a point and hurt the ones that loved you most. Guns make a huge mess that most don’t want to inflict to the people (loved ones) the sceen to horrific the ones that find the body
True or false: Firearms make attempts at suicide more lethal?

It's a rhetorical question. Of course they do. Just as if you happen to live near the Golden Gate Bridge and you're suicidal, you have another very lethal means at your disposal.

If someone wants to take their own life, I regard that as a personal choice, and not a matter for government intervention. But I am sympathetic to the idea that, as a society, we shouldn't back away from getting people help and detering them from an impulse suicide decision. Education efforts in that regard, to me, are worthwhile. Mental health / support networks are worthwhile.

I'm not advocating for red flag laws. I'm simply pointing out the Nov 2. memo from the Whitehouse advocates no overrearch of their powers. I'm not saying they can be trusted not to go further. I'm sure they will. That battle should be fought as needed.

We have to be able to have conversations. If your attitude is "They can't say anything, because we know what their agenda is," then you missed your calling as a censor.

No firearms do not make it any more or less lethal it makes it in some cases more convenient, second Only to the bottle of pills that is the most convenient . There is nothing more final than lethal, it doesn’t matter the tool used.
Ives worked and investigated many, many suicides. Being most were in Jackson County Georgia there was always a gun around, but it was last choice, unless you were trying to make a point and hurt the ones that loved you most. Guns make a huge mess that most don’t want to inflict to the people (loved ones) the sceen to horrific the ones that find the body

Statistically, men succeed at suicide more often than women, and among the reasons cited by the various academic literature on this topic is that men tend to use more lethal means, most notably guns. In the U.S., stats say 50% of suicides are by firearm, and those are predominantly male. Per capita, male suicide is 3 to 4 times higher than female suicide.

Statistically, men succeed at suicide more often than women, and among the reasons cited by the various academic literature on this topic is that men tend to use more lethal means, most notably guns. In the U.S., stats say 50% of suicides are by firearm, and those are predominantly male. Per capita, male suicide is 3 to 4 times higher than female suicide.
Don't worry, once the pamphlets are distributed we'll see suicide rates plummet. Good job comrade.

So maybe all the pamphlets that taxpayers are going to pay millions for....or gun shop owners are going to have to spend their profits on....should be about suicide prevention...instead of redundant information about storage, treat the actual issue instead of targeting an inanimate product. While they are at it they should install suicide prevention bars and fences on bridges and buildings, put warning labels on knives and razorblades, and create medication bottles that will not allow
you to take more than the daily dose out of it at a time.

But nope, just like everything else, lets attack a mental health issue by an inanimate object, (guns). One thing I will say about politicians is that if they are nothing else...they are consistent about sounding like they are doing something while at the same time doing absolutely nothing.

Historically That stat would be true even when the gun element is removed.

50% of all suicides are by firearm.

2/3 of ALL gun deaths in the US are suicides. Veterans have a 50% higher suicide rate than non-veterans - funding more prevention efforts by the VA and others is a good thing.

I'm with the OP on this one.

Back
Top Bottom