• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big fake eggs (IT HATCHED!)

furious

Default rank <4500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.
261   0
Reaction score
I made some balloon castings with gypsum cement and ended up with some huge fake eggs. This can also be done with other types of quick setting plaster.

Making these can be fun, satisfying and a bit of arm/hand exercise as well. Just mix up some gypsum cement in a plastic bottle. Inflate the balloon and twist the opening shut (don't tie it yet). Then put the balloon tip on the bottle and squeeze the cement mix into the balloon. Tie off the balloon when you get it to the size you want. Then rotate the balloon/mix until the cement sets (about 10 min). Constant rotation is a must. It starts to warm up and then gets firm. Keep gently rotating it until it's very firm and warm. Then lay it aside for about 5 to 10 mins. Then cut the balloon off. What you'll have is a hollow egg made from cement. It takes a day or so to fully cure and it needs to be sitting on a towel during this time.
After that it's a hard , egg that can be painted for Easter decoration. The cement can be carved easily. Or if you're like me then you'll find a toy snake or dinosaur head to put in one.

The easiest size to make is with a 5 inch balloon (the smallest ones in the photos). That turns out a 4 inch x 5 inch egg.
The last one I made here is 7 inches x 6 inches.

DSCN1986.JPG
DSCN1987.JPG
DSCN1988.JPG
DSCN1990.JPG

:nod: YEP...I'm bored.

Somewhere in Hollywood a special-effects guy is punching his fist in the air saying "YES!"

Cool tutorial!

Fill 'em with candy and hang from ceiling for cool Jurassic Park themed pinata...

Back
Top Bottom