• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big Green Egg Smoked Ribs

** I haven't tried the pig candy direct, may burn a bit.. but I will try it sometime..wings indirect starting at 650 to 700 degrees are awesome too! (Ive lost hair on arms and a little eye brows at times lol..somehow managed to get fire to shoot out the bottom vent once and take out some leg hair :doh:

WP_20161130_004.jpg

Nice. I'm back to cooking em 225 direct, raised grid. Just something different, texture and bark on the outside. For sauce.."Vermont pig candy" FTW
After smoking for a few hours, wrap in foil with a cup or 2 of dark apple cider and run em 30 minutes or so. Take em back out and back to smoking..take the juice (and drippings with the rub that ran off into it too) from the foil and put it into a sauce pan with a half cup or cup or so of b grade maple syrup and hot sauce...slowly heat and stir to reduce it.. glaze the ribs with that..ooooo eeeee. It takes some practice to get the glaze right but daaaaamn, you can get a little candy crunch from it..words can't describe!

Those sound amazing. I'll have to try it that way next time. I started to get some bark on the bottom of the ribs but not over the entire thing. Maybe I'll let them go another 30min next time to fully cover them in delicious bark.

OP, it's obvious you're a master BBQ chef.
Thanks for a peek into the good life.
LMK if you ever need yard work done on a grilling day.
;-)

I can always sit back and cook while someone else cuts the grass and whatnot. Hell I'll even provide the beer.

** I haven't tried the pig candy direct, may burn a bit.. but I will try it sometime..wings indirect starting at 650 to 700 degrees are awesome too! (Ive lost hair on arms and a little eye brows at times lol..somehow managed to get fire to shoot out the bottom vent once and take out some leg hair :doh:

How did you get fire to come out of the bottom? I made the mistake of not burping the egg one time and I will not make that mistake again. My whole right hand and arm lost hair that day.

Those sound amazing. I'll have to try it that way next time. I started to get some bark on the bottom of the ribs but not over the entire thing. Maybe I'll let them go another 30min next time to fully cover them in delicious bark.

I can always sit back and cook while someone else cuts the grass and whatnot. Hell I'll even provide the beer.

How did you get fire to come out of the bottom? I made the mistake of not burping the egg one time and I will not make that mistake again. My whole right hand and arm lost hair that day.

I honestly cant recall how it happened when the fire shot out of the bottom vent. I will say I have been known to put the leaf blower on the bottom vent to get the temp up fast when reverse searing steaks, and the "volcano egg" effect aint no joke lol. You can give ribs a quick sear at the end directly (after you've done them indirect) to help the bark too..just gotta be watch and flip as needed so the sauce doesn't burn. This works well too with Boston Butt.

Back
Top Bottom