• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big heads up for CPAP users

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Long time friend of ours was recently diagnosed with thyroid and colon cancer. This is a man in his early forties, so the diagnosis was shocking. Turns out, there is a very good chance the cancer was delivered courtesy of a CPAP machine, prescribed for him about eighteen months ago:

The cancers he has are both in line with preliminary research on the carcinogenic effects of exposure to the deteroriating insulating foam in these machines.

We're hopeful he'll survive the illnesses. Chances of any kind of restitution for the medical bills, plus pain and suffering, are a long way off. His wife is wracked with guilt because she encouraged him to get the machine, so there is a lot of extra emotional pain in their household, to go along with actual pain.

Please, if you are using a CPAP, verify it's not one of the recalled models. If it is, get it replaced ASAP, and don't sign any waiver of your legal rights in exchange for a new machine.

I love mine. I sleep like a baby with it. Fortunately I don't have that machine, I have a ResMed, but an interesting thing that I did find out when I read the email from Medicare was that Phillips doesn't recommend using an ozone cleaner, like the SoClean machine, and I stopped using my SoClean after a couple months because it left a nasty odor in my machine, and the head strap was losing elasticity.

Thank you, OP for the head's up.

I've used a Resmed with a SoClean II since September 2016 and never had any issues with it not cleaning, nor smells, nor degradation of any internal/external parts; and, I do take my CPAP completely down every year for internal cleaning and inspection, nerd that I am. I do change the cartridge filters every two months, instead of six but use cheaper knockoffs of the same ilk. I've disassembled both the SoClean original and the knockoff filters cartridges and there is absolutely no difference, but you have to be careful of your source. I wash/clean my mask and hose every month, instead of weekly as proposed. When I do, I soap/rinse/then soak in food grade peroxide of 12% all day. I have chronic bronchitis/COPD and it makes it about the only way I can get a good night's sleep, sans drugs. JFYI.

Back
Top Bottom