• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of sale ATF trace and ODT

My LGS owner told me there is no good reason not to get a signed BOS with the buyer and seller driver license info on it. That way if law enforcement knocks on your door you can point them in the direction the gun went.
D27CBD0B-2E13-4218-9572-22BAB343FC7E.gif

They were both trades of equal/ lesser value no flippin.
I was just ribbing you but value doesn't really matter.

Real talk, if you've had two of the same model gun that you bought new end up on a NICs trace they may believe you to be dealing guns unlicensed.

In which case handing them over Bills of sale would just be written documents they could use against you in court to prove thier case that you are dealing guns unlicensed (trading or not)

"Anything you say or do can and will be used against you in the court of law"

There's no evidence or nothing you can say to law enforcement that will be used in your favor in court. It will only be used AGAINST you. Law enforcements job is to prove your guilt, not your innocence.

So anyone out there who does think they're a junior FFL and collects bills of sale, my unsolicited advice would be not to hand them over to law enforcement (that would be incredibly dumb) just keep them for your own reference and if need be talk to your attorney about them.

Say as little to law enforcement as possible.

Something like "yes I purchased that gun, decided I didn't like it or didn't want it anymore and sold/traded it to someone on my local gun forum"

There's no requirement for documenting who you gave it to, and such documentation will only be used against you by law enforcement. They don't collect evidence to show your innocence, that's you and your attorneys job.

My LGS owner told me there is no good reason not to get a signed BOS with the buyer and seller driver license info on it. That way if law enforcement knocks on your door you can point them in the direction the gun went.
FTFY; a signed BOS with the buyer and seller driver license info on it, which of course is a piece of paper anyone can create at any time.

I'm not sure what number to call to validate a drivers license is genuine, can anyone help me out ?

I was just ribbing you but value doesn't really matter.

Real talk, if you've had two of the same model gun that you bought new end up on a NICs trace they may believe you to be dealing guns unlicensed.

In which case handing them over Bills of sale would just be written documents they could use against you in court to prove thier case that you are dealing guns unlicensed (trading or not)

"Anything you say or do can and will be used against you in the court of law"

There's no evidence or nothing you can say to law enforcement that will be used in your favor in court. It will only be used AGAINST you. Law enforcements job is to prove your guilt, not your innocence.

So anyone out there who does think they're a junior FFL and collects bills of sale, my unsolicited advice would be not to hand them over to law enforcement (that would be incredibly dumb) just keep them for your own reference and if need be talk to your attorney about them.

Say as little to law enforcement as possible.

Something like "yes I purchased that gun, decided I didn't like it or didn't want it anymore and sold/traded it to someone on my local gun forum"

There's no requirement for documenting who you gave it to, and such documentation will only be used against you by law enforcement. They don't collect evidence to show your innocence, that's you and your attorneys job.
Thanks man

FTFY; a signed BOS with the buyer and seller driver license info on it, which of course is a piece of paper anyone can create at any time.

I'm not sure what number to call to validate a drivers license is genuine, can anyone help me out ?

Just call your LGS it seems.

Hey y’all

Ok so I like to see a GWCL and some good ODT feedback when I do a sale or trade. I haven’t sold or traded to anyone that was prohibited from owning a firearm but apparently the people I have traded with don’t share the same tendencies.

But I have had two ATF traces come back to me in the last year for glock 19s I have traded on ODT. Which means I have to spend time on the phone with officers and agents unnecessarily.

Apparently ODT has loosened up and we can’t trust anyone.

Is it worth it to start doing bills of sale on things or should i just quit trading?

What do y’all think?
You could just transfer your future sales and trades through your local FFL.

You could just transfer your future sales and trades through your local FFL.
He could. But as the original purchaser of the firearm you're still gonna be the one contacted by the ATF when there is a trace.

In which case you would be able to say "I gave it ABC pawn shop" which is perfectly fine and legal for you to do.

Or you could say " I sold/traded it to a fellow GA resident which is also perfectly fine and legal to do.

A lot of people think selling a gun to an FFL "Gets it out of their name" but it doesn't. You are the end of the trace on every NEW gun you buy.
They'll have to talk to you to find out what you did with the gun, because even if you sold it to an FFL they have no way of knowing that until they talk to you.

The only way you can avoid any chance of that happening is to not sell a new gun that you completed paperwork on. It doesn't matter who you sell it to, you cannot control where it ends up down the line or how it gets there.

Back
Top Bottom