• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of sale ATF trace and ODT

So Elmer fudd told you to get a signed piece of paper that will serve no purpose? Got it.

Op a bill of sale won't do squat for you, as stated above if anything the feds will use it as evidence against you if anything.
Preech on ...

My LGS owner told me there is no good reason not to get a signed BOS with the buyer and seller driver license info on it. That way if law enforcement knocks on your door you can point them in the direction the gun went.

And how does your local LGS make his money? He collects data for the government. Why do you think people pay more for a weapon that Uncle Scam cannot prove they own? We've had this come up plenty, but let me give you just the top reasons NOT to get into the BOS deal:

1 A Bill of Sale is a document for the BUYER of a firearm, not the seller. If you buy a car and get a Bill of Sale, WHO gets the Bill of Sale?

2 If you do a Bill of Sale with an unlicensed dealer who ignorantly thinks that four or five guns a month aren't being "in the business" you become an accessory to a crime without ever intending to do so

3 A buyer would NEVER let a private individual hold paper on them. What if the seller is selling a firearm and recording personal information for identity theft or a home burglary later on? A private seller will freely give that info to the BATFE when they begin confiscating firearms. If you consider that, every gun on this site should reflect the price of a used weapon, not above retail.

Ask a buyer to see their driver's license and / or CWL. Take the cash, respect their privacy, shake their hand and maybe one day that individual may have to watch your six.

There's no evidence or nothing you can say to law enforcement that will be used in your favor in court. It will only be used AGAINST you. Law enforcements job is to prove your guilt, not your innocence.
^^^ I don't know any better starting advice. (Italics added)

Selling anything is a risk, somebody sold/rented Dahmer that apartment.

On a gun sale, seeing a GWCL provides a certain peace of mind that you have a non-prohibited buyer, but is no guarantee. Selling through an FFL provides complete insulation from personal liability, but is also no guarantee. Getting a BOS may end up PROVING you sold to a prohibited person. You have to remember, anybody could flip out and use anything illegally...anytime.

All in all, as of today, selling to an in-state resident that you do not know to be prohibited is legal.

What's wrong with helping a criminal organization known for trampling rights, running guns to cartels, and burning children alive then standing over the ashes of their bodies for trophy pictures?
Nothing if like Kiwi in your mouth.

Back
Top Bottom