• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

?? Bill of Sale for Private Firearm Transactions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepinshep

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
12   0
Reaction score
I am curious if those of you who buy/sell/trade in private transactions typically use a "bill of sale".

If so, what information would you provide/not provide in such a BoS, and why?

I found a free BoS online that you can print out and fill in the blanks for a transaction, but it seems to ask for an awful lot of information:

State
County
Sale price
Model
Make
Serial Number
Caliber
Permit Carry # of Seller
State and County Permit Issued
Seller's DL #
Buyer's DL#
Information of Dealer if buyer is a dealer
Seller's Name
Seller's Signature
Seller's Street Address
Buyer's Name
Buyer's Signature
Buyer's Street Address
Witness Name
Witness Signature
Witness Street Address

Most of the information seems like it makes sense, but the items in bold seem to be a little invasive to me. Do you usually provide someone you just met with your street address? Do you provide your permit carry # to someone who may potentially counterfeit a permit using a # they know is valid?

Thanks for your input.

BOS = POS. Unnecessary, there are enough laws already why follow a "regulation" you don't have to? I have NEVER made anyone sign a bill of sale. I have signed a few before but I don't like it and I think it's pointless. My $0.02

I normally don't bother with them either. But the member who is buying my 659 today requested one. Should I just omit some of the information and just provide the basics (name, signature, gun specs, date)? I don't want to be an ass and just "refuse" to provide a BoS. But at the same time, I don't want to give all my information to someone I just met...

I want their name, address, as on their drivers license, date, whats being sold/bought and any serial #' involved and their signature. I don't want any of their personal numbers and don't care if they have a carry license( thats between them and the state). Thats all the info I'm furnishing to them also. I've learned to CMA the hard way, and don't want to travel that road again.

Last edited:
The only ones I have ever signed have had the description of the firearm, my DL# and my signature. I wouldn't sign one if it had anything else.

I'm a little undecied on this, but mainly because I don't know how the law works. My main concern is if I have documentation going one way but not the other. For example, suppose I get a gun from person A and don't sign a BoS, and later on trade it to person B and do sign a BoS. What happens if it turns out the gun was stolen and person B can show they got it from me, but I can't show that I got it from Person A (or by any other legitimate means)?

I'm a little undecied on this, but mainly because I don't know how the law works. My main concern is if I have documentation going one way but not the other. For example, suppose I get a gun from person A and don't sign a BoS, and later on trade it to person B and do sign a BoS. What happens if it turns out the gun was stolen and person B can show they got it from me, but I can't show that I got it from Person A (or by any other legitimate means)?

Honestly officer, I found it on the side of the road.

As one who's been in a simalar picture, your on the way to an expensive Lawyers office and quite a few days in court waiting for your case to be called. GIVE AND GET ! its just that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom